Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Yeah what people use, that is always some kind of shit

You can use "X is shit" credo to drive Wayland development, otherwise that is not really quite true
    Or you can use the "X is not shit" credo to continue to ignore the fact that having the X server and the compositor as two separate entities is broken by design.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
      Or you can use the "X is not shit" credo to continue to ignore the fact that having the X server and the compositor as two separate entities is broken by design.
      Yeah one option of X, you call "broken by design" because it is optional and users are not forced to use it . That is again some kind of SystemD bullshit allover i don't know who really liked that

So pulseaudio, systemd and here wayland all that force people to use it in only one way, without an option . In the end of a story all that will look like PlayStation gaming console...

If times are changed and PC is not anymore traditional thing and want to be nothing but gaming console that is fine, then to me wayland and friends are simple shits with known goal, better use PlayStation right now
      Last edited by dungeon; 01 January 2015, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
        This is good thing as Xserver can work without compositor.

Comment

Yeah one option of X, you call "broken by design" because it is optional and users are not forced to use it . That is again some kind of SystemD bullshit allover i don't know who really liked that
          Why would one not want to use a compositor? I'm not talking about desktop effects. Using a composed desktop makes it faster. E.g. windows don't have to be redrawn when cycling through the windows using alt+tab. This is especially interesting when using remote apps.

Comment

The less people understand, the more opinionated they become...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              The less people understand, the more opinionated they become...
              The less users you have, the less users you need to listen to...

Comment

The less users you have, the less users you need to listen to...
                You do understand that Wayland is a project begun and mostly coded by core X developers, right? Wouldn't these people be the ones who know the most about this? http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...land_situation

I've used X for nearly 30 years and will not miss its demise. X, and X alone is the sole reason that linux didn't long ago eclipse Windows on the desktop. Want proof? Look at how fast Android knocked Windows out of the running on smart phones and tablets. Only Apple can still compete, using a UNIX-like OS running a compositor similar to what Wayland does. If you have technical arguments for why X is better, please share them, but not before watching the Daniel Stone 2013 AU linux conference talk in its entirety. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWQh_DmDLKQ
                Last edited by pgoetz; 03 January 2015, 07:00 AM.

Comment

I know that, i remember first time i heard about Wayland 7-8 years ago - it has same arguments against X as today, but X is improved from that time, etc...

And stop talking about cloning ideas/things as an argument, Android is what it is not because of tramendous GUI but because Google is behind it - people who have power and money.

And i watched many of his presentations (and i know he is active in this thread) and only thing i notice that he is getting older and older .
                  Last edited by dungeon; 03 January 2015, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
                    You do understand that Wayland is a project begun and mostly coded by core X developers, right? Wouldn't these people be the ones who know the most about this? http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...land_situation

I've used X for nearly 30 years and will not miss its demise. X, and X alone is the sole reason that linux didn't long ago eclipse Windows on the desktop. Want proof? Look at how fast Android knocked Windows out of the running on smart phones and tablets. Only Apple can still compete, using a UNIX-like OS running a compositor similar to what Wayland does. If you have technical arguments for why X is better, please share them, but not before watching the Daniel Stone 2013 AU linux conference talk in its entirety. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWQh_DmDLKQ
                    Don't waste your time arguing with this clown. He does his benchmarking ... By eye. Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
                      Don't waste your time arguing with this clown. He does his benchmarking ... By eye. Enough said.
                      Ooops, now users are clowns

Does thic "clown" had fill a regular bug in sse4.1 build or not?

Comment

Working...
                      X