Does Using GNOME On Wayland Save Power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
    No, I am Mir fan... in this sea of haters.
    I am not surprised by these results. I think both Mir and Wayland's biggest challenge will be justification. There will be a decade of development on these things with no advantage over X11. I am not saying they wont get better, but by the time they do... so will X. People will tell you that the code is cleaner, easier to "blah blah blah". If this were a commercial product, it would never work. You have to go to market much faster. You can't tell your customer, "Oh, there really isn't any noticeable difference between what you have and our new product... but our code looks better." Sorry guys. I'll check back in 2 more years to see how things are progressing.
    We aren't going down the x vs wayland path again are we ... for those that missed it. The Wayland Situation: Facts About X vs. Wayland: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...land_situation

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Yes, we know.

It's on the same schedule as BTRFS and Half-Life 3.
      It's never been current year +1, it's always been: Once The protocol is stabilized (DONE) + When the kernel infrastructure is in place (DONE?) + When the Toolkits and frameworks are ported (DONE) + When the DE's are ported (In Progress), and there's no reason to expect Gnome and KDE to not finish their ports within the timeframe of 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        It's never been current year +1, it's always been: Once The protocol is stabilized (DONE) + When the kernel infrastructure is in place (DONE?) + When the Toolkits and frameworks are ported (DONE) + When the DE's are ported (In Progress), and there's no reason to expect Gnome and KDE to not finish their ports within the timeframe of 2015.
        Don't forget the proprietary drivers since Wayland is dead in the water without them.

Comment

Don't forget the proprietary drivers since Wayland is dead in the water without them.
          Have you forgotten proprietary like Nvidia already uses EGL which is needed by Wayland?
          Download the English (US) Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver for Linux 64-bit systems. Released 2013.10.4

AMD already support Wayland in some extent through Radeon driver and its future replacement as published here on Phoronix.

Comment

I guess that's mostly a problem for nvidia users. And they promised to deliver. AMD and Intel have their OSS drivers, the first seems to be on par with catalyst by the time. Being OSS based, amdgpu will probably work fine, too.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
              I thought HW overlays were only available in the professional product lines for both Nvidia and AMD (Quadro and FirePro, respectively). Has something changed in recent years? Or have the Mesa crew learned how to provide hw overlays to consumer grade GPUs too?
              Not sure about the discrete gpu's.. at least some generations of intel's display controller block provides hw overlays. I believe AMD's APU's do as well. (afaiu xbox-one uses 'em, not sure about ps4.) And pretty much every chip used in a cell phone these days has 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Yep, your definitely the only one. Personally, I really hope mir dies a bloody painful death. There is absolutely nothing worse than splitting the talent pool for the limited number of people that are capable of doing that type of coding.

Hopefully Canonical dies right along with it. All they did was increase the time scale. It's a damn shame.

There is one exception to this.... when the whole project was nothing, but a core shell, built to create a model - rather than product,.. with the product going into payware-only underworld.
                Then, there is sense in forking away. Tried wayland recently. It was rather flimsy.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                  There is one exception to this.... when the whole project was nothing, but a core shell, built to create a model - rather than product,.. with the product going into payware-only underworld.
                  Then, there is sense in forking away. Tried wayland recently. It was rather flimsy.
                  Mir isn't a fork of Wayland however. Neither Mir nor Wayland is a product and never will be. You can however build products that use Wayland protocol and you probably tried one of them though your post lacks specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by expectATIon View Post
                    Using the Samsung Chromebook 2, Collabora explains how Wayland excels against X11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtXQJ0c5q0k
                    Also check out this video comparing Wayland to Xorg on low-end hardware:

Maybe this will satisfythe die-hard X fans who are still out there in large numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                      There will be a decade of development on these things [Mir/Wayland] with no advantage over X11. I am not saying they wont get better, but by the time they do... so will X.
                      Wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X