No announcement yet.

PlaneShift 0.6.3 Open-Source MMORPG Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids, don't do drugs. Because you'll end up judging things wrong. - PlaneShift is not a Theme Park MMO, it's a MMO Roleplaying Game and more specifically, a massive tabletop game with a lot of theatricality. - This is the whole freaking point of PlaneShift; Roleplaying. These kind of games are Rare and because they lack the playerbase to support commercial success. And this sad truth is because MMO playerbase do not care about Context. They love Polished, Pretty looking products that evolves around Killing Monsters and Leveling up. - Therefore, PlaneShift has more features and customizability options to offer than World of WarCraft or many other MMOs ever could.

Graphics is nothing more than a luxury for people who give a damn about Roleplaying. These developers rather make new ingame artwork for various details than actually create a badass-looking raid boss with completely retarded lore. - Get your facts straight, Michael. This ain't your Korean or American Grinding Multiplayer Game. People who work and support on this project are actual enthusiasts, not paid workers with huge salaries or blind fanboys who buys every crap they sell on their unfair and overpriced Item Malls.

Comment

Really the problem with this game is not so much the graphics, but a lot of other stuff.

I think they were too ambitious.

I much prefer a small 1 square block size, but more polished game than a huge one with almost everything half baked...

Big + empty is not better, its important to right size projects with the resources available.

Many games are much simpler and smaller and are great. Start small and expand, USE MODULAR DEV.

Anyway here's a vid review not done too long ago by someone else:

PlaneShift Episode 2: http://youtu.be/TPBOUJU7x1U

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        Michael you are slowly realizing that open source sucks outside some specific (technical, not artistic) programs. Welcome to the real world
        Opensource is about source code, obviously. Games are many things more than source code.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
          Really the problem with this game is not so much the graphics, but a lot of other stuff.

I think they were too ambitious.
          I agree with that. Indeed, the graphics are shit and dont help too much, but also the world is hughe, it is empty, and you need help from more veteran players to finish some quests or be prepared to spend hours walking every corner of each city. It is hard to track quests, the game doesnt display enough information about what you have to do after you have received the quest. Advacing in the magic path requires completing a quest. Level grind becomes boring, because you have to spend hours in Hydlaa Arena dungeon (which is ridiculously large and labirynthical) or Hydlaa sewers (which are large end empty), instead of moving you through different world locations with different mobs.
          Small details that spoil a lot of hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerdv View Post
            I agree with that. Indeed, the graphics are shit and dont help too much, but also the world is hughe, it is empty, and you need help from more veteran players to finish some quests or be prepared to spend hours walking every corner of each city. It is hard to track quests, the game doesnt display enough information about what you have to do after you have received the quest. Advacing in the magic path requires completing a quest. Level grind becomes boring, because you have to spend hours in Hydlaa Arena dungeon (which is ridiculously large and labirynthical) or Hydlaa sewers (which are large end empty), instead of moving you through different world locations with different mobs.
            Small details that spoil a lot of hard work.

graphics depending on the context can be as simple as Minecraft and fit in nicely. They are blocky and shitty , but am more than fine with them since they fit the world and don't feel half done, so expectations are pretty much met.

Runescape also has soso gfx but again not half baked.

So yea at least this serves as example that ambition is bad on any project and the best way is to go modular when possible

Comment

Well, I wasn't going to post since I mildly agreed with Micheal despite how he worded it. I was of the assumption that's how most people felt actually. So, I looked into the game again.

The textures and models are that of a early N64 game... the animations are much better than what they used to be (or rather, they exist now). The UI is still complete garbage compared to competitors. Being immediately disappointed, I instead searched for a game play video... and one of the first videos I came across is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A6Z5-deOuc

It's a mess. I'm not really bashing it but you can barely make an argument that its visuals and interface are adequate.

Comment

what a bunch of BS! Planeshift is freakin awesome.... first off the people are in general much much more friendlier than in other games, second off the graphics are prtty damn good (EVER hear of Settings dumbass?? put it on ultra high and antialiing 8x and the other settings on super high) the game looks GREAT, looks like a 2008 game , TIRED of these fucktards downing PS cause of graphics, what yall lookin at ?? the textures and shadows are top notch, animations are great, world looks great you cry babie punks. You people disgust me. OK now Second.... there are hundreds of quests in PS, Tons of skills to level up which is as hard to do as most other games levling there freakin class up! Now Third...... there is actual music you can learn and play on different instruments with many dozens of PLAYER made music! how freakin cool is that? omg..... Now Fourth.....Its Mainly a Roleplayer's Paradise! ALL these other MMorpg's do not have ANY Roleplaying your character, which is totally sad and fuked up, isnt that the reason we should be playing these games?? Think about it for a second before you write me off......THE ONLY REASON WE PLAY GAMES IS TO LEAVE REALITY BEHIND,, Plane Shift is the KING in doing that =)) Face it, dont hate it. Every other game ive seen ( yes ive played prob 40 Mmorpgs' over past 16yrs, no newbie here) doesnt have hardly ANY roleplay. PS is the only game with awesome graphics that has it ive Ever seen ( Lotro is the only one that comes close which i love also)..... Now Fifth ! ..... If your tired of the "GEt to End game dude!!!" type of mentality and just want to have fun with very very nice people with tons to do and level up at your own pace ( fast or slow) then Plane Shift is your game, give it an HONEST Chance people, good lord, Break out of the mold and do somthing different for once ! Thank you have a nice day

Comment

what the hell im registered and want let me Comment?? WTF

Comment

omg i just wrote like 6 paragrahs and it didnt get posted wtf

Comment

Originally posted by Trendle222 View Post
                      omg i just wrote like 6 paragrahs and it didnt get posted wtf
                      It's there now, sometimes there is a delay on some posts for new users when it needs to go through spam filter.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X