No announcement yet.

After 10+ Years, NetworkManager Reaches v1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm, now if only someone cared to fix the NetworkManager Cisco VPN GUI to allow sending empty strings to log in...

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
      (Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to vi the relevant files)
      feel free to use vi with nm, i allow you

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
        Yeah, that was what I was hinting at. I would prefer good ol' text files as well. They worked, were very functional, and never had issues. But this is the new world...where peiple use ridiculous shit like yaml and xml when a flat fucking text file will suffice, is easier to read, and doesn't make you want to gouge your eyes out with a spork.
        I never got the hating on XML and YAML. Don't get me wrong, XML -can- be very ugly but it can also be perfectly readible. YAML is even more readible though I think I still prefer ini-style text files.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          I heard Facebook is working on a new network stack for Linux "to make it as good as BSD's", I wonder if it also relates to the network manager.
          That crack about making Linux networking "as good as BSDs" sounds just like the sort of thing a FreeBSD fanboy would say, but I'm having a hard time finding any way to quantify such an absurd claim. To such a one i would simply say "Wake up, Rip Van Winkle! 1993 was a long time ago, and Linux has matched or surpassed FreeBSD in every meaningful measure of performance". I've searched the benchmark results where networking performance is critical (supercomputing, specweb etc) and find that such performance contests are absolutely dominated by Linux. I can't find FreeBSD systems anywhere near the top - so how bad could Linux networking performance be, really?
          Last edited by david_lynch; 20 December 2014, 03:04 PM.

Comment

That crack about making Linux networking "as good as BSDs" sounds just like the sort of thing a FreeBSD fanboy would say, but I'm having a hard time finding any way to quantify such an absurd claim. To such a one i would simply say "Wake up, Rip Van Winkle! 1993 was a long time ago, and Linux has matched or surpassed FreeBSD in every meaningful measure of performance". I've searched the benchmark results where networking performance is critical (supercomputing, specweb etc) and find that such performance contests are absolutely dominated by Linux. I can't find FreeBSD systems anywhere near the top - so how bad could Linux networking performance be, really?
            You are either lying out of your ass or hopelessly trolling... Linux is good, but its not perfect. Facebook and Netflix both stated that they go for FreeBSD over Linux for certain servers because FreeBSD's network subsystem scales to many more connections with higher performance than Linux' does.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              You are either lying out of your ass or hopelessly trolling... Linux is good, but its not perfect. Facebook and Netflix both stated that they go for FreeBSD over Linux for certain servers because FreeBSD's network subsystem scales to many more connections with higher performance than Linux' does.
              Awesome comeback. Apparently a FreeBSD fanboy who was stung by the frankness of my comments. Well, i won't stoop to your level.

Instead let me first of all point out that such anecdotal examples as you provide don't carry as much weight as verifiable facts. Perhaps you could share any references you might have, pointing to verifiable, repeatable performance testing results showing that FreeBSD does networking faster than Linux?

Upon reflection, I find it sad, yet funny, that when I asked "how bad could Linux networking performance be, really?" you somehow confounded that question as a statement that "Linux is absolutely perfect". As it turns out, I've never made the claim that Linux was absolutely perfect. Everything - even Linux - can be further optimized, in the spirit of Kaizen.

What i actually did was question the dogmatic assertion that BSD networking is somehow always magically faster than Linux, and that is apparently verboten in these parts.

Comment

This piece of crap software has given enough headaches to people, and it's still doing it...

Are you new to this website?
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

or simply

Comment

Sure, maybe now you can manage a server using network manager (Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to vi the relevant files) but my point is that using network manager or not using it won't affect network performance benchmarks either way.
                  NO, you are not old fashioned...you ARE a professional

Nobody used network manager in server clusters...because some times is a mess...and it do some things that sometimes, you don't want!!

The sysadmin should be the owner of the system, and Network managers messes with it...so get rid of it...

In the servers usually we remove it...and a lot of other things of course, because the network should work for years and years.

Since you learn how to avoid it...you are in heaven!!

But in Desktopś laptops yes I use it, because its simple, and in Desktop world, my focus is not the system I am running, but what I will do with it, servers and Desktop's are diferent..but its good to see cli stuff to network-manager, for the people out there that are not used to work with linux.

But this has nothing to do with FACEBOOK NEW NETOWORK STACK(networm-manaer are a tool to deal with network tools but in a simpler way, not a network stack at all)...that is a realy cool thing that will speed up linux network stack..

Comment

How will network-manager coexist with systemd-networkd?

I don't still know how to mix (conceptually) these two piece of software. Systemd-networkd will replace network-manager? Will it be a complement? I'm loss, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
                      I don't still know how to mix (conceptually) these two piece of software. Systemd-networkd will replace network-manager? Will it be a complement? I'm loss, sorry
                      Simple.

Networkmanager / connman for desktop mobile stuff.

Systemd-networkd for containers and basic networking stuff on servers or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                      X