Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 14.12 Linux Driver Released -- Huge Update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by komic View Post
    Hello there! First time I m posting to phoronix! Is there anyone with hybrid graphics that managed to get this driver working? I have a 6770m with the intel hd 3000 and I have never been able to start the X. The same goes with this omega release....Even with vi0l0's repos. Really dissapointed once more!
    I doubt that this works with anything but the open source driver. And there, I'm even not sure if someone implemented it,yet.

Comment

[Sarcasm mode on]
      But...amd says my card is supported!!!
      [/Sarcasm mode off]

Comment

Hello there! First time I m posting to phoronix! Is there anyone with hybrid graphics that managed to get this driver working? I have a 6770m with the intel hd 3000 and I have never been able to start the X. The same goes with this omega release....Even with vi0l0's repos. Really dissapointed once more!
        Yes, I have got it working on ubuntu 14.04. This is what I followed to get it to work: http://askubuntu.com/questions/49725...n-ubuntu-14-04

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
          I have installed it on my SL 7 machine witha A10-7850k and I got about 10fps more on dota 2 and I wramp up the graphics a notch. I have no problems on my KDE desktop with glitches or waking up as others say here.

I have also installed it on my wifes ubuntu 14.04 machine with an Radeon 7950 and it also works perfectly (we haven't found any problems yet), and she got about 5fps more in dota 2 and Civ 5 also flows better.
          Now I have been using the drivers a while and my impresion is actually pretty good. For all games I run (Dota2, Civ5, LD2, TF, M:LL) , all the graphics clithes I had with 14.9 drivers are completely gone and the games feel a lot more stable.
          Both desktops are feeling great and I can not see any tearing at all.

This goes for both of my computers listed in the quote....but one funny experience though. On Ubuntu 14.04 i need to use pre-generated packages to get a stable experience but on the SL 7 machine i can not. I need to use the installer.

Comment

Yes, I have got it working on ubuntu 14.04. This is what I followed to get it to work: http://askubuntu.com/questions/49725...n-ubuntu-14-04
            My friend that link describes how to uninstall fglrx and install the open source driver to use it again for ubuntu. It's not for the fglrx...

Comment

[Sarcasm mode on]
              But...amd says my card is supported!!!
              [/Sarcasm mode off]
              Where and for what?

AFAIK, on windows there is some kind of proxy driver used, which redirects the calls to the right graphic driver. Therefore, your notebook producer needs to provide this very proxy driver. Ask them to provide such a proxy for Linux.

When not using such a driver, you need to quit the X server and move libGL and such stuff, and possibly change xorg.conf.
              Last edited by oleid; 14 December 2014, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                AFAIK, on windows there is some kind of proxy driver used, which redirects the calls to the right graphic driver. Therefore, your notebook producer needs to provide this very proxy driver. Ask them to provide such a proxy for Linux.

When not using such a driver, you need to quit the X server and move libGL and such stuff, and possibly change xorg.conf.
                So why is it working if I use an older version of catalyst? And why most people with hybrid graphics are having this same problem? And why they are saying that this card is supported? Shouldn't they comment this somewhere? And I am pretty sure that once fglrx is installed and loaded it handles the intel card so it should load X just fine. I believe the problem is somewhere between fglrx and xf86-video-intel. They don't get along together. To many people using intel's version 2.99.910 works just fine but that's just not the case for me.

I believe if steamOS comes out and if it goes well you ll see that in a magic way all of this will be history. We ll still have problems but I don't think they re gonna be booting the X!

Just my 2 cents...

Comment

My friend that link describes how to uninstall fglrx and install the open source driver to use it again for ubuntu. It's not for the fglrx...
                  I know... I was trying to be funny

No but seriously, I understand that it should work out of the box... I as I said in an earlier post:
                  I have noticed some problems with the installer if you dont use the distro specific package in Ubuntu...Did you do that?

Comment

I know... I was trying to be funny

No but seriously, I understand that it should work out of the box... I as I said in an earlier post:
                    I have noticed some problems with the installer if you dont use the distro specific package in Ubuntu...Did you do that?
                    Oh! My bad!!! I didn't get it...

I am running arch so I m not able to do that. If I find any hdd spare I will install ubuntu just to see if it's working there....

Comment

• Originally posted by komic View Post
                      Oh! My bad!!! I didn't get it...

I am running arch so I m not able to do that. If I find any hdd spare I will install ubuntu just to see if it's working there....
                      Violo maintains the Arch AUR package for catalyst. He has updated the catalyst package to the latest version. Just follow the Catalyst page in the ArchWiki.

Comment

Working...
                      X