Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by michal View Post
    It was maintained for a few years.
    Yeah, but i guess they just sorted manally those from bugzilla and made a list out if it

Comment

Would the Linux kernel have less bugs if it were ported from C to Rust?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Which bugs, there is no bug in Linux

He, he, funny answer - but true Linux only have bugs, because it progressing all the time, so by making any progress naturally you intruduce new bugs, doing any new work you have new bugs, etc... Porting to different language, yeah you will have new bugs likely and so on...

Compare that with life... that is like whatever you do in your life and for your life, you made new problems for other peoples and might be also for you - sometimes even without knowing. Those might be nice or worst for some of them, but those are new problems, bugs

less bugs? who knows that might depend on porters On human, not on language.
        Last edited by dungeon; 24 November 2014, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Is it possible that this happen so commonly!?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Is it possible that this happen so commonly!?
            Mostly no, but can happen anytime

It is normal in kernel development

What Linus says about bug_tracking

Comment

Latest word I stumbled across on the issue:

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/k...1.2/05508.html

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 04:08:21PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Really not a whole lot of code changed, and if it wasn't for the
              > pending trouble from DaveJ, I'd probably be perfectly happy. Let's see
              > how that all unfolds, but in the meantime, the more testing this can
              > get, the better.

FYI, I gave 3.17 + perf fixes ~36 hours of runtime before calling it
              good on Friday. Since then I've started a bisect, and I'm about 3 builds
              deep on that, with 9-10 to go. 2 of the bad builds took the better part
              of a day to hit, with the third happening in just an hour.
              Hopefully I get more of the latter kind, and we can wrap this up this
              week, though thanksgiving may upset things.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                No, because any complex project that is ported to anything inevitably creates new bugs. That's the nature of writing complex new code.

Now, if you change the question to whether there would be fewer new bugs created on an ongoing basis, that's more interesting. Probably not much difference in the end, though, because all the kernel devs would be turning off the safety features in rust anyway.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 26 November 2014, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X