No announcement yet.

Fifth: A New Web Browser Based On WebKitFLTK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Alpine Linux, many libraries don't have static versions available (icu and harfbuzz being the relevent ones), so linking fails. Any ideas for how to do this? (libwebkitfltk.so ? Add dependencies to the pkg-config entry that's planned?)
    Removing the -Wl,-Bstatic I get a libwebkitfltk.a that's 309389762 bytes.

Also, running autoconf in fifth doesn't make a working configure script; I'll try the tarball.

Comment

Testapp linking those statically was just a preference (I needed to see how big a binary it would create, as the portable binary needs those statically), it's now been removed.

Do you need a shared libwebkitfltk? It should work by adding -fPIC to your CXXFLAGS, but I haven't tested it, as the total space use on a system would be much more when only one app uses it.

On autoconf, most packages don't use autoconf directly, they use autoreconf in their autogen.sh scripts. Try autoreconf -i.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        that libc is broken, not different. different would provide same apis with different implementations.
        It's using musl which is a lot less broken than glibc and does provide the same APIs... just not perfect ABI compatibility yet.

(The lead musl developer is the guy who "bashed" systemd because he has ridiculously high standards for core system components. That should put that chart I linked into context.)

An LSB-compatible ABI is on their TODO list, which should be the part you need for drop-in compatibility, but it's listed as incomplete because they're focusing first on making musl superior in places like embedded systems where ?Clibc and dietlibc have proved that you don't need perfect drop-in ABI compatibility to be useful.
        Last edited by ssokolow; 18 November 2014, 09:56 AM.

Comment

0.1.1 tarballs released, with build fixes for musl, some glibc versions, and other tweaks.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            0.1.1 tarballs released, with build fixes for musl, some glibc versions, and other tweaks.
            Have been rebuilding for about 4 hours now (Atom N270, so I expect it to be slow; the 1 gigabyte of ram is small enough that -j2 would cause swap thrashing, and both ram and hard drive are slow...).
            Is there a Makefile that builds all the way through, instead of make -C ... && make -C ... && ...?
            I presume that the test app should run not segfault; I'll need much more space free for a debug build, though.
            Fifth was also segfaulting (in the dynamic linker, according to gdb).

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
              Have been rebuilding for about 4 hours now (Atom N270, so I expect it to be slow; the 1 gigabyte of ram is small enough that -j2 would cause swap thrashing, and both ram and hard drive are slow...).
              Is there a Makefile that builds all the way through, instead of make -C ... && make -C ... && ...?
              I presume that the test app should run not segfault; I'll need much more space free for a debug build, though.

Perhaps you could try using the ninja make engine.... its alot faster and is what is used on Haiku OS for building webkit there... due to the increased build speed (cuts development time considerably apparently)

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                Not ATM, trying to avoid merge conflicts where possible (plus each is somewhat a separate whole with different dependencies).

Yeah, no use trying fifth until the minimal testapp works. I don't have the space for a full -g build either, so I usually rebuild just the specific files with -g.

Comment

@Ibidem

There's another checkpoint of sorts - does the jsc executable run? It's a smaller test than the testapp, being only WTF + JavascriptCore.

In other news, Dillo hg has a proper fix for the focus thing.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    @Ibidem

There's another checkpoint of sorts - does the jsc executable run? It's a smaller test than the testapp, being only WTF + JavascriptCore.
                    Should probably poke at that...I know that there were thread stack size issues for jsc in other webkit versions.
                    It looks like the issue I was hitting is PIE.
                    Originally posted by Rich Felker
                    Got it. The line number in your original report seems to be off by a
                    bit (it points to TLSDESC related cases) but I've found the offending
                    relocation(s):

0083deea 0000c402 R_386_PC32 00000000 exp
                    0083df03 00010a02 R_386_PC32 00000000 log
                    0083df1c 00030502 R_386_PC32 00000000 floor
                    0083df35 00024502 R_386_PC32 00000000 ceil

I have no idea why the linker is emitting these. It should have
                    resolved them at ld time to PLT entries in the main program's PLT, but
                    maybe since you're building as PIE (this is defautl on Alpine) that
                    doesn't happen (this would be a linker bug, IMO). If it were going
                    to do this (leave the relocations in the output), it should mark the
                    program as DT_TEXTREL (having textrels), but this is probably
                    suppressed for PIE because it's not supposed to happen.

My best guess as to what's triggering the problem is that there's some
                    nasty asm or other hacks that are not PIE-compatible somewhere in the
                    program. It's also possible that you're pulling in static libraries
                    (which would not be PIE-compatible) due to not having the dynamic
                    version of a needed library installed.

Finding which .o or .a file these references to exp/log/floor/ceil are
                    coming from would help narrow down the source of the problem.
                    Alternatively you could try building as non-PIE.
                    I guess that means a little bit of tweaking for the C*FLAGS; I need to read up on PIE/PIC/...
                    Would it be likely to work if I build the same way but with -fPIC (and the -static-...stuff gone)?
                    In other news, Dillo hg has a proper fix for the focus thing.
                    I saw that last night; alpine now has FLTK 1.3.3 and a patched dillo.

I've packaged physfs; urlmatch still needs packaging, but builds fine.

A minor rough spot I ran into with the Fifth configure script earlier: the version test uses <webkit.h>, so to install in /opt/wkf/ you need something like
                    Code:
                    CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/wkf/include -I/opt/wfk/include/webkitfltk -L/opt/wkf/lib
                    If there were an option like --with-webkitfltk=..., it would be a nice aesthetic touch.

Comment

There are bound to be like-minded people that want a browser like this.

Comment

Working...
                      X