Canonical's Plans For Unity 8 & Mir In Ubuntu 15.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    Well lets see how things go on when you have KDE and Gnome on same install with different Wayland implementations. I just want to see how well it will work with drivers (from one implementation to another, performance wise), and if applications from 1 desktop environment will work correctly on the compositor of another desktop environment, lets wait and see before calling anyone here crazy....

Anyway I find that each camp writing its own compositor is kind of a waste, Xorg may be a mess of code but at least you got a unified solution... And Mir is much closer to a modernized Xorg in terms of development model.
    Sure because we don't have multiple reimplemented X compositors...

Comment

Well lets see how things go on when you have KDE and Gnome on same install with different Wayland implementations. I just want to see how well it will work with drivers (from one implementation to another, performance wise), and if applications from 1 desktop environment will work correctly on the compositor of another desktop environment, lets wait and see before calling anyone here crazy....
      None of that will be a problem at all. Neither apps nor drivers need to care about the specifics the compositor, just like apps and drivers don't need to care about the specifics of the compositor right now with Xorg.

Anyway I find that each camp writing its own compositor is kind of a waste,
      Everyone already does that with X11 right now.

And Mir is much closer to a modernized Xorg in terms of development model.
      That is exactly what everyone else was trying to avoid with Wayland.

Comment

Working...
      X