Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
    Fair enough.
    But apparently the nemo components are quite limited if the todo list consists of such basic things like extracting compressed files and browsing network shares. I'm not saying the KDE classes are ideal, in KDE talk KIO is a tier 3 framework which means that it has a LOT of dependencies. It alone is probably unusable for anyone else except KDE due to dependencies it requires. But even that can be improved greatly. People just need to invest time into doing that.

That "time" point is exactly where i'm being annoyed by canonical. They seem to be creating some great stuff but all with reinventing existing technology. It would be much better to improve existing technology.

On the other hand, canonical has a very nasty habit to first try and join an existing project, then fork it. Beryl anyone? Trojita anyone?...
    google reinvents the wheel (android stack), mozilla (firefox os stack) also does its. From a commercial point of view, whats wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
      google reinvents the wheel (android stack), mozilla (firefox os stack) also does its. From a commercial point of view, whats wrong with that?
      Well, what could be wrong with every company maintaining their own version of everything beyond the standard library (and sometimes even lower, game devs)? Besides duplicated effort, duplicated maintenance needs, reduced interoperability, reduced portability, code rot, and a general waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
        I believe they are going through this whole effort of making everything of their own (including the infamous Mir display server) just to have full copyright of the entire software stack of the Ubuntu phone experience (not including the Linux kernel of course). This allows them to license it to manufacturers with a non-open/proprietary license. (Remember that contributing to canonical-owned code requires you to sign a CLA)
        So?
        They have every right to do that. Be thankful that they are opening the code up.
        Even Google does the exactly the same thing with Android. Why does only Canonical get all the hate. This is something which they have to do if they want to survive in the mobile industry.

Comment

Fair enough.
          But apparently the nemo components are quite limited if the todo list consists of such basic things like extracting compressed files and browsing network shares. I'm not saying the KDE classes are ideal, in KDE talk KIO is a tier 3 framework which means that it has a LOT of dependencies. It alone is probably unusable for anyone else except KDE due to dependencies it requires. But even that can be improved greatly. People just need to invest time into doing that.

That "time" point is exactly where i'm being annoyed by canonical. They seem to be creating some great stuff but all with reinventing existing technology. It would be much better to improve existing technology.

On the other hand, canonical has a very nasty habit to first try and join an existing project, then fork it. Beryl anyone? Trojita anyone?...
          Beryl was never forked by canonical. Beryl was a fork of compiz. Nowadays canonical is compiz upstream (I think)

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
            Beryl was never forked by canonical. Beryl was a fork of compiz. Nowadays canonical is compiz upstream (I think)
            True, but they merged back (compiz-fusion if i recall correctly). Then they got screwed by canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
              Really.. You're going in that direction. Fine, I'll answer it.

When google forks something (or creates something from scratch when there is something else existing) and open sources it, it tends to be quite good and very open source friendly. It tends to be actually useful! Just look at blink and webkit, look at the entire linux kernel stack when it comes to embedded support. It all improved massively thanks to google. They use opensource and really improve it. While i don't particularly like Goolge, i do like how they thread the FOSS community. Much better then canonical.

When canonical forks something it's ending up "for their environment only" due to dependencies on their other crap therefore close to impossible to run on other linux distributions other then ubuntu and derivatives of it. In other words: it tends to end up as a ubuntu only software package that is useless for the rest of the foss world. If ubuntu where the only linux desktop it would probably be fine, but they aren't so it's not fine.. Canonical should get their act together and start acting like a part of the linux community. The only thing they give back is sick stuff like mir. Yet another example where they should have joined forces with wayland.

Comment

True, but they merged back (compiz-fusion if i recall correctly). Then they got screwed by canonical.
                wow the things I read...

this is what happened:

"Compiz-Fusion was the name given to a project that served as a number of plugins and utilities as a compliment to the freedesktop.org Compiz core. It represented the community aspect to Compiz development. After Novell departed the freedesktop.org Compiz project, it was decided by a five-member guiding council to discontinue the project as a separate project and instead merge it into one project called Compiz in February 2009."

and here's the rest of the story:

Canonical actually did compiz a favor and kept it alive longer, No major desktop was going to use it anymore, specially Gnome, Kde, etc. gave it's back to it and CREATED THEIR OWN FROM SCRATCH.

so yea no one else wastes time recreating the wheel, just canonical.. right
                Last edited by madjr; 13 November 2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I don't think so. The only still active compiz dev got employed by canonical, (and he was already doing his big rewrite of compiz with 0.9x). I think Kde and Gnome "screwed" compiz as a mayor player (outside of being WM for unity) when they started their own composting window managers.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                    I don't think so. The only still active compiz dev got employed by canonical, (and he was already doing his big rewrite of compiz with 0.9x). I think Kde and Gnome "screwed" compiz as a mayor player (outside of being WM for unity) when they started their own composting window managers.
                    Ok, you might be right on that part.

Looks like my compiz knowledge is a bit rusty. Perhaps it was a project doomed to slowly die as madjr just said it basically had only one developer left. The subsequent hiring of that dev by canonical certainly sealed the compiz fate.

Comment

Ok, you might be right on that part.

Looks like my compiz knowledge is a bit rusty. Perhaps it was a project doomed to slowly die as madjr just said it basically had only one developer left. The subsequent hiring of that dev by canonical certainly sealed the compiz fate.
                      The important thing is that it's Canonical's fault, everything else is irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                      X