FreeBSD Might Get A Linux Kernel API Wrapper To Help Porting Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    lol, you list contains google three times and yet google has all of their infrastructure on linux. so your 'a lot of' means 'almost nobody'
    Well, the numbers come from the raw commit data. The committers sometimes wrote "Google", "Google, Inc" or "Google Inc." This is why Yahoo doesn't appear in the list even though Yahoo collectively contributed more than 10 commits.

I guess Google uses FreeBSD or its tools for something.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
      A misconception, a quite common one, but still a misconception. All that the GPL enforces is that a company using GPLed code is giving their customers access to the source if they demand that access. No part of the GPL enforces anyone to submit their patches to upstream or collaborate in any form with upstream. So if upstream wants to use those changes and incorporate them into their codebase they have to get (possibly even by buying the product) and analyze the code themselves
      a misconception. if they already must release source, it is much easier to release it into upstream, to not spend resources maintaining patches. and even if they don't, someone else can.
      Example: At no given time Red Hat actually had to give CentOS developers access to their source repositories, unless they had bought a license.
      bullshit: redhat has publicly available source archives.
      Also, at no given time were they enforced to submit their changes upstream.
      that is irrelevant. relevant part: at no given time they were able to forbid someone to submit their changes upstream
      but at no point were they forced by the license.
      that is really stupid remark. as long as they provide source to customers, customers are free to release it. but it is harder to release sources to customers privately and makes no sense, since customers will release it anyway.
      In short, if a company does not want to collaborate the GPL does not hinder them from making it as hard as possible to actually use their changes.
      in short, you are living in some fantasy world
      Last edited by pal666; 10 November 2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post
        I guess Google uses FreeBSD or its tools for something.
        i guess you shouldn't be telling in public that you found in all history of full freebsd operating system less sponsored commits than in one month of just linux kernel. or people will laugh at you and at freebsd

Comment

i guess you shouldn't be telling in public that you found in all history of full freebsd operating system less sponsored commits than in one month of just linux kernel. or people will laugh at you and at freebsd
          The myth is that companies that use FreeBSD don't contribute back to FreeBSD because it's BSDL. The commit log shows otherwise.

To you sir, HaHa, I win.

Comment

Here's the correct link:
            Discussion of *BSD operating systems and software, including but not limited to FreeBSD, DragonflyBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD. Mac OS X, GNU Hurd, and other alternative operating systems can also be discussed.

Yay! I win!
            it is incorrect link, you loose

Comment

The myth is that companies that use FreeBSD don't contribute back to FreeBSD because it's BSDL. The commit log shows otherwise.

To you sir, HaHa, I win.
              that commit log shows they do not fucking contribute. there is no macos/ios sources. there is handful of commits into whole operating system in twenty years. in just onle linux kernel companies contribubute more in one month. it passes 'over 95%' check

Comment

that commit log shows they do not fucking contribute. there is no macos/ios sources. there is handful of commits into whole operating system in twenty years. in just onle linux kernel companies contribubute more in one month. it passes 'over 95%' check
                I guess FreeBSD is already close to perfect for their applications. Or, the "handful" of commits are actually individually large commits.

But my guess is that FreeBSD is already perfect.

Keep those tears coming.

Comment

Who the fuck is talking about Linux? The important thing is that companies that benefit greatly from FreeBSD do contribute back to the project. Is it enough? Is it (un)fair? I believe it is... Because the BSD folks start with the assumption that nothing is going to be contributed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                    Who the fuck is talking about Linux? The important thing is that companies that benefit greatly from FreeBSD do contribute back to the project. Is it enough? Is it (un)fair? I believe it is... Because the BSD folks start with the assumption that nothing is going to be contributed.
                    the important thing is that they don't contribute back. if you give me $100 and i give you back $1, will you say that i gave you your money back ?
                    i don't care about assumptions, it's their own problem. i care when people call this joke 'contribute back'. did ms contribute back their kernel after they stole tcp stack ?

Comment

But my guess is that FreeBSD is already perfect.
                      so perfect that nobody uses it and they try to implement linux in-kernel api to port linux drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X