Kubuntu 15.04 Will Use KDE's Plasma 5 By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You whiners are crazy.

I installed kde5 along side kde4, It was pretty much the same except better menus, while keeping them about the same. It reused parts of kde4 for a few things, I'd say 90% of it worked. Some of it didn't work simply because plasma framework didn't like it, gtk apps didn?t work either. What do you expect? Still being worked on.

Its more modular and everything isn't dependent on everything else.
    They didn't do a complete redesign of their desktop. Traditional desktops work, who knew?
    The kde team is smart enough to keep your traditional desktop and your tablet interface on its own separate desktop.
    It looks like its going to be a direct upgrade from kde4, same functionality, less resources used.

I think you people are confusing the kde desktop with plasma 5 framework when they said plasma framework 5 was stable.
    Also why the hell are people switching to gnome3 when there is lxqt?
    Gnome devs are insane....

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      The idea of frameworks it to keep things modular. Things that can feasibly be separated out were.
      Neither are KMix etc. frameworks nor does your reply offer an explanation why they became Extragear modules (=independent release cycle) during the SC4 era.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
        Wanted to try out the Kubuntu 14.10 Tech Preview but the current Image doesn't boot neither in a VM nor on a normal laptop. Anyone elese with this kind of problems? I can see the Kubuntu logo and then the screen goes black.
        Yes, I am seeing this too. It fails to boot on my Ivy Bridge Laptop (Intel graphics) and my Ivy Bridge Desktop (Nvidia 640 GT). Seems to be a problem with starting the X server. I can get consoles on Ctrl-F1 - F6, but no GUI. Not sure what the (systemd?) commands are to try and restart the GUI, but I haven't really looked very hard for them either. It did run on my Core2 Duo system (Nvidia 9400 chipset graphics), but I too was unimpressed with the whole flat icons look. Sad to think that my first impressions of Plasma5 are "Yuck! It's Windows 8!" I thought I looked for alternate desktop themes but don't recall seeing Oxygen or Air. I was just using the live environment, and did not actually install it.

I think the biggest thing I'm looking forward to in KDE 5 is a KWin wayland compositor. Since that's not ready yet, I'm in no big hurry to move to KDE/Plasma 5. It was nice to get a little preview of it though, and I look forward to further improvements.

Comment

...not that crazy

Originally posted by DIRT View Post
          I installed kde5 along side kde4, It was pretty much the same except better menus, while keeping them about the same. It reused parts of kde4 for a few things, I'd say 90% of it worked. Some of it didn't work simply because plasma framework didn't like it, gtk apps didn?t work either. What do you expect? Still being worked on.

Its more modular and everything isn't dependent on everything else.
          They didn't do a complete redesign of their desktop. Traditional desktops work, who knew?
          The kde team is smart enough to keep your traditional desktop and your tablet interface on its own separate desktop.
          It looks like its going to be a direct upgrade from kde4, same functionality, less resources used.

I think you people are confusing the kde desktop with plasma 5 framework when they said plasma framework 5 was stable.
          Also why the hell are people switching to gnome3 when there is lxqt?
          Gnome devs are insane....
          I'm sorry Dirt, but I'm not sure that suggesting people that are unhappy with the incomplete nature of Plasma 5 right now instead move to the even more incomplete LXQT (it's also based on Plasma 5 FYI). You are fully entitled to your personal opinions about Gnome devs, but their desktop is stable today, so it is a perfectly viable option for someone that wants a fully functional and stable desktop today. The Gnome vs KDE zealots are a vocal minority, but the majority of people just use whatever is best for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRT View Post
            Traditional desktops work, who knew?
            They don't but people are afraid of change.
            In a world of widescreen monitors putting the task bar on the bottom edge is as stupid as desktop icons, which are always covered by windows, have always been.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
              LXQT (it's also based on Plasma 5 FYI)
              No, LXQt is not based on Plasma 5. Retard.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
                You are fully entitled to your personal opinions about Gnome devs, but their desktop is stable today, so it is a perfectly viable option for someone that wants a fully functional and stable desktop today.
                So is KDE SC 4.x.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Neither are KMix etc. frameworks nor does your reply offer an explanation why they became Extragear modules (=independent release cycle) during the SC4 era.
                  kmix is not in extragear, it is in KDE multimedia and has been since KDE 1.1 (which is the earliest I can find). It also does not have an independent release schedule it is and has been released alongside the rest of KDE or KDE SC.

bluedevil has always had independent releases. It has never been part of KDE SC, like amarok, digikam, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    You miss the configurability but are yet too stupid to select a different theme????
                    You must be very stupid if you thought I didn't know how to change the look of the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      kmix is not in extragear, it is in KDE multimedia and has been since KDE 1.1 (which is the earliest I can find). It also does not have an independent release schedule it is and has been released alongside the rest of KDE or KDE SC.
                      My personal agenda for KMix has always been to provide a full-featured, but extremely simple mixer to all Users. And I sincerely hope I have served you well. Now KMix is nearly adult (16 years sinc…

Comment

Working...
                      X