Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Benchmarks Would You Like To See Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software raid with different configuration/level and file system (ext4, btrfs, xfs, etc.)
    Thank you

Comment

Graphics card/driver testing with slower platforms.
      I know they perform really well with a $1000 i7, but most of us don't have one of those. What happens when you drop one of these in a computer with a 2 GHz Pentium-or even a Phenom II?

Comment

What about a Stunt Rally benchmarking profile? It can be very demanding with the highest settings, even for the most powerful cards. Thus, it would be a good, free/libre benchmark. On Windows, it uses Direct3D instead of OpenGL, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          What about a Stunt Rally benchmarking profile? It can be very demanding with the highest settings, even for the most powerful cards. Thus, it would be a good, free/libre benchmark. On Windows, it uses Direct3D instead of OpenGL, though.
          Unfortunately there's no benchmark mode in vDrift-ogre... There was in the original vDrift, including some improvements to it I had committed, but with the vdrift-ogre support there is no support -- I've tried it myself and there was also an upstream bug about the benchmark mode not being there.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Blokdijk View Post
            Spring has a replay function allowing to watch any of the 60+ thousands of games stored at http://replays.springrts.com/browse/
            Fly the camera over one of those replays -> benchmark?

Abma one of the more active Spring developers boiled it down to:

So how do we get this working.. :-)
            (Or who has the time.. yes I know a bit about Spring and can write php-cli code.. but surely someone else is willing to do this :-) right?)
            The replay is one part, yes. But then having the game exit / dump the information is the other important part (and also being able to start the replay from the command-line when launching the game), so no user-interaction needed at all.

PHP-CLI code experience isn't even needed to make test profiles, they're just a simple bash script and XML file. If anyone can get Spring to fit the above requirement of being able to launch it, run replay, and quit, then I can easily whip up the test profile.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Filesystem Benchmarks with ntfs-3g and Tuxera NTFS

Comment

ODROID-XU3 vs Nvidia TK1

Comment

Just tossing around ideas:
                  • Gaming benchmark with top selling linux games (integrated graphics should be included), but put a bit of stress test into it (e.g. FPS map packed with a lot of players, Civ V late game on standard size map as a minimum).
                  • Graphic works application benchmark (e.g. GIMP, Krita, Blender), with a bit of stress test as well (e.g. passing blur at 300dpi)
                  • Power Consumption (idle/medium/heavy load) on laptops.
                  • Older/slower hardware benchmark (e.g. C2D era, early Atom devices). I'd personally like to see Atom 330 benchmark playing streaming online videos at 1080p.

Comment

Cross Desktop Toolkit benchmarks to have Qt running in Raster mode as opposed to XRender Mode

Comment

Battery life and system interactivity are the biggest areas that need large amounts of quantitative data.
                      How much battery does Linux use when idling? When idling, what is consuming power?
                      How much battery does rendering a sophisticated page take? How long does it take a system to move from an efficient idle state to a high p state and back again (bursty tasks).
                      I think focusing on web browser usage makes sense as it's probably the most used app on most people's PC.
                      As for interactivity, that's harder. Probably the best way to deal with that is to use the perf framework in combination with something like dogtail, or bltk, and check the time stamps of events sent to the latency of the event being processed.

Comment

Working...
                      X