Ten Year Old "Critical" Bug Discovered In OpenBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by endman View Post
    The cat's out of the bag once again and as happened over and over again, OpenBSD is NOT SECURE.
    While I would agree OpenBSD security seems to be seriously overrated and Teo is really crappy project manager when it comes to making some stuff which ACTUALLY WORKS, I do not think that blatant misinformation and lies are okay. Lie is not going to work in opensource world and misinformation will be uncloaked. Hence no reason to even try that.

While I consider OpenBSD utter crap which I would never use, I still think news should be more accurate in details. I would understand if someone tells Teo is crappy project manager and OpenBSD is virtually unusable. But thats not a valid reason to give us wrong technical data, isn't it?...

Comment

Michael, do you understand the difference between a "Distributed Denial of Service" (DDoS) and a "Denial of Service" (DoS)?

Comment

Originally posted by System25 View Post
        While I would agree OpenBSD security seems to be seriously overrated and Teo is really crappy project manager when it comes to making some stuff which ACTUALLY WORKS, I do not think that blatant misinformation and lies are okay. Lie is not going to work in opensource world and misinformation will be uncloaked. Hence no reason to even try that.

While I consider OpenBSD utter crap which I would never use, I still think news should be more accurate in details. I would understand if someone tells Teo is crappy project manager and OpenBSD is virtually unusable. But thats not a valid reason to give us wrong technical data, isn't it?...
        All endman ever does is lie. I believe that he is the same idiot behind the About the BSDs blog, which claims that the FreeBSD Foundation spent almost a million dollars on beer for FreeBSD devs. Riiiiiiiiight. With such blatant and constant lying, you have to wonder what his agenda is...

As for your claims, I'd like to hear your reasoning for the statements that OpenBSD doesn't work, OpenBSD is virtually unusable, and that 'Teo' is a crappy project manager. As somebody writing this on a laptop running OpenBSD, I have to disagree strongly. I think OpenBSD is simple, easy, and functional, and that it is one of the best-managed open source projects out there. But that's just me -- somebody who actually knows what he's talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          All endman ever does is lie. I believe that he is the same idiot behind the About the BSDs blog, which claims that the FreeBSD Foundation spent almost a million dollars on beer for FreeBSD devs. Riiiiiiiiight. With such blatant and constant lying, you have to wonder what his agenda is...
          While it is blatant bullshit for sure, I would admit I fail to see results from FreeBSD team which could justify $1M of spendings in ways I understand and welcome. So it's not like if I'm going to give them even a single cent. IMO their project management suxx as well. Maybe a bit less than OpenBSD but still far more than I would welcome.

As for your claims, I'd like to hear your reasoning for the statements that OpenBSD doesn't work, OpenBSD is virtually unusable, and that 'Teo' is a crappy project manager. As somebody writing this on a laptop running OpenBSD, I have to disagree strongly. I think OpenBSD is simple, easy, and functional, and that it is one of the best-managed open source projects out there. But that's just me -- somebody who actually knows what he's talking about.
          Why it is unusable:
          - Poor hardware support. It "works" only if you have really modest demands and ancient hardware. It suxx otherwise.
          - By modern standards it tooks too much efforts. Easy? Hmm, Ubuntu takes 5 minutes to get things on wheels. And then you'll get reasonable defaults, etc and ton of packages to try. That's how "easy" defined these days.
          - Functional? It even lacks virtualisation and containers. There are no modern filesystems and poor hardware support. These days human beings are using computers for a bit more things than it was in AT&T unix times. I can even play some 3D games, use WebGL and so on. And I like all that. If someone got stuck in 80s or 90s together with their Teo, I'm not guilty of that.
          - It haves small community and relatively few packages. Basically its bunch of lunatics living somewhere in another world.
          - I got used to real package managers. Sorry guys but I think deb-based package management just rocks. I'm not a big fan of building all stuff myself without a good reason and I need a package manager, not a third-rate crap.

Overall all this does not fits my views about best project management. I'm in mood to call Linus Torvalds best project manager. That guy was able to choose right license, get things on wheels fast and gain heck a lot of traction. So overall even large corprations are helping to get it working and actually share sources due to GPL. It powers so many stuff I do not even know all of it. That's how I define good project manager. Good PM is all about getting things balanced.

Just look:
          1) This powerful and modern desktop computer powered by Linux. It is modern and powerful. SSD? Linux got discard support to keep it fast and wear out less. ECC RAM? Its state exposed to me. IOMMU? Ok, it works. Marvell RAID? Thermal sensors? Ok, here they are. So I can run several VM and even pass through PCI devices to VM like if it was physically attached. I fail to see how any of BSDs can handle such use case. The only thing which annoys me when it comes to hardware is relatively draft state of OpenCL computations in opensource stack, so it only works in some cases but not everywhere it supposed to. These days opensource graphic stack even can handle R9 270 GPU reasonably. Whoa.
          2) Notebook. It runs Linux. Intel video driver works just great, including 3D. All buttons are working like advertised, wi-fi, bluetooth, ... virtually any hardware. And power management works well enough to allow about 8 hours of battery life. Not to mention working suspend to RAM and somesuch. All this can be achieved in about 5 minutes if I install Ubuntu or derivative (ok, I prefer XFCE).
          3) That router on the way... it runs OpenWRT. Small and neat Linux distro with fancy build system. Its really funny to see penguin can be small enough to fit to 8MiB flash ROM. Or even 4MiB (with some extra swearing). Wonderful example how to downscale Linux properly. I simply do not get how to do something like this on BSDs. Not to mention their SoC support tends to suck a lot.
          4) Smart phone. It runs Linux as well. And it is best thing I ever had. Its great when I can carry Linux based networking device with me. I can even ssh to remote server and fix that. Using usual full-featured SSH I'm used to.
          5) That little credit-card sized fancy ARM board ... it runs Linux as well, in fact I deployed some customized ubuntu respin. Different hardware but same packages I love. And not like if I need to rebuild them all myself. Can be both great home server and even small computer/media center. I like it.

I do not see what BSDs can offer to me. Furthermore, I think GPL is a big win since it converts companies into powerful traction force rather than bunch of parasites. I think this combo performs way better than stuff BSD guys got where only few greedy proprietary companies are using BSDs "because they can close source". I really do not welcome closing sources - it screws up my freedom to learn how stuff works and modify it. I do not appreciate it at all.
          Last edited by System25; 07 October 2014, 01:18 AM.

Comment

- Poor hardware support. It "works" only if you have really modest demands and ancient hardware. It suxx otherwise.
            No. OpenBSD works great on my server and on my Thinkpad X220. X is accelerated, runs at full resolution, and all without root privileges. Seems like a pretty modern system to me.

By modern standards it tooks too much efforts. Easy? Hmm, Ubuntu takes 5 minutes to get things on wheels. And then you'll get reasonable defaults, etc and ton of packages to try. That's how "easy" defined these days.
            I can install OpenBSD in less than five minutes. From there, all I have to do is run pkg_add gnome to have a nice desktop. I fail to see how that's so much harder than Ubuntu.

Functional? It even lacks virtualisation and containers. There are no modern filesystems and poor hardware support. These days human beings are using computers for a bit more things than it was in AT&T unix times. I can even play some 3D games, use WebGL and so on. And I like all that. If someone got stuck in 80s or 90s together with their Teo, I'm not guilty of that.
            I can play 3D games and run modern web browsers, too. If you honestly think that OpenBSD is functionally equivalent to Unix from the 70s, I feel sorry for you. You must've suffered brain damage when you booted OpenBSD and weren't greeted by a flaming cursor and virtual desktops mapped to spinning cubes.

- It haves small community and relatively few packages. Basically its bunch of lunatics living somewhere in another world.
            I find that the packages I want are available for OpenBSD, but not for things like OpenSUSE and Fedora. Go figure. As for having a small community, maybe -- but it also has a centralized community. Unlike with Linux, regressions are spotted immediately. There's not a 1,000 different, separately-maintained packages making up the OS. One kernel, one userland, one set of packages.

- I got used to real package managers. Sorry guys but I think deb-based package management just rocks. I'm not a big fan of building all stuff myself without a good reason and I need a package manager, not a third-rate crap.
            OpenBSD's pkg_add and other tools are actually quite simple and easy to use. I've had far fewer problems with them than with apt-get/aptitude. As for building all my stuff from source, I've never done that once. I don't think I've even ever installed the ports tree. Again, you seem to be intentionally misleading readers.

Overall all this does not fits my views about best project management. I'm in mood to call Linus Torvalds best project manager. That guy was able to choose right license, get things on wheels fast and gain heck a lot of traction. So overall even large corprations are helping to get it working and actually share sources due to GPL. It powers so many stuff I do not even know all of it. That's how I define good project manager. Good PM is all about getting things balanced.
            Linus definitely works hard and gets good results.

2) Notebook. It runs Linux. Intel video driver works just great, including 3D. All buttons are working like advertised, wi-fi, bluetooth, ... virtually any hardware. And power management works well enough to allow about 8 hours of battery life. Not to mention working suspend to RAM and somesuch. All this can be achieved in about 5 minutes if I install Ubuntu or derivative (ok, I prefer XFCE).
            Me too.

5) That little credit-card sized fancy ARM board ... it runs Linux as well, in fact I deployed some customized ubuntu respin. Different hardware but same packages I love. And not like if I need to rebuild them all myself. Can be both great home server and even small computer/media center. I like it.
            Lots of OSes can run on ARM.

Suxx
            I win.

Bottom line: pick whatever OS works for you, but I don't see the need to make things up or hate on other projects just because you have other needs.

Comment

Using usual full-featured SSH I'm used to.
              What SSH server is running on your machines?

Comment

Bottom line: pick whatever OS works for you, but I don't see the need to make things up or hate on other projects just because you have other needs.
                He simply states: "I don't understand BSD and I've never really tried it" in an aggressive way, trying to use the Linux-influenced workflow as an argument against BSD.

This is no different than in a situation where a Windows guy tries to diminish Linux by using an argument that you can't use your mouse to get into every aspect of system configuration.

I'm witnessing arguments like this every single day at work.

Comment

Missing Something?

Yeah I know, OpenBSD farts always did that (OpenSSH, OpenNTPD, OpenSMTPD and LibreSSL). Now is thier entire OS that has the bug and some one will fork it and clean the code and make it GPL Oh wait.... There's Linux!! OpenBSD/OpenBSD forks iare NOT NEEDED!!!
                  Why isn't there an "OpenSystemD"......

Comment

People, please, if You have OpenBSD installed, please removing it and replace it with Linux
                    Please, stop, you're embarrassing your community. You really don't know what you are writing. More respect here, please.
                    [btw, OpenBSD don't need people like you. Keep stealing from *BSD and exalting your god RMS].

Greeting,
                    L.

Comment

System32 hit the nail on the head right on. monraaf is nothing but a lunatic.

No. OpenBSD works great on my server and on my Thinkpad X220.
                      That's the problem, Thinkpads only. Expensive laptops with only modest hardware specs sucks to be a BSD luser. Linux by contrast can very on acer, asus, toshiba all of which are cheap and powerful.

X is accelerated, runs at full resolution, and all without root privileges.
                      KMS doesn't mean accelerated and btw, it's done with an outdated Linux driver. So it's Linux that's accelerating X on your OpenBSD installation not OpenBSD

Seems like a pretty modern system to me.
                      Keep talking bullshit.

I can install OpenBSD in less than five minutes.
                      again nothing but filthy bullshit. OpenBSD's installer isn't even ncurses so why don't you actually try installing OpenBSD and come back here to comment on how is it really like to install OpenBSD and stead of talking shit.

From there, all I have to do is run pkg_add gnome to have a nice desktop. I fail to see how that's so much harder than Ubuntu.

OpenBSD's pkg_add and other tools are actually quite simple and easy to use. I've had far fewer problems with them than with apt-get/aptitude. As for building all my stuff from source, I've never done that once. I don't think I've even ever installed the ports tree. Again, you seem to be intentionally misleading readers.
                      Again talking crap. If you've use OpenBSD or shit*BSD, you'll find that pkg_add is slow and has no upgrade flag. Upgrades have to be compiled from source sucker!!! System32 knows this all too well.

I can play 3D games and run modern web browsers, too.
                      Playing games on your browser doesn't count. You might as well claim you can play windows games because you logged into windows through VNC.

If you honestly think that OpenBSD is functionally equivalent to Unix from the 70s, I feel sorry for you. You must've suffered brain damage when you booted OpenBSD and weren't greeted by a flaming cursor and virtual desktops mapped to spinning cubes.
                      No. It's you, monraaf (a BSD fuck) who is brain damage because you stubbornly support a clearly useless OS and a group of people who have been proven to be incapable, crap and delusional.

I find that the packages I want are available for OpenBSD, but not for things like OpenSUSE and Fedora. Go figure.
                      Oh please, stop lying. You've just proven you never used BSD because if you have, you'll not be advertising it now in this thread. In fact, you probably use Mac OSX. This is common with BSD fanboys and devs (YES EVEN DEVS), they talk up BSD so highly but in really never use them or barely use them because if they did, they will find it impossible to support BSD.

As for having a small community, maybe -- but it also has a centralized community. Unlike with Linux, regressions are spotted immediately.
                      Community? What community?? Only a few mindless users and schizophrenic devs. That is no community only a bunch on crap.

There's not a 1,000 different, separately-maintained packages making up the OS. One kernel, one userland, one set of packages.
                      That's a disadvantage because now there is one huge piece of shit that has to be in sync with one another. Unlike Linux were components can be upgrade independently without fuss. that's why many companies and research centers use Linux. BSD has no use. it's useless expect to act as example as to how OS development can go wrong.

Linus definitely works hard and gets good results.
                      Yes, unlike Theo the Retard and Kris Moron.

Me too.
                      No, you exclude yourself from really. You deserve to be treat specially.

Lots of OSes can run on ARM.
                      OpenBSD can't run on raspberry pi. People have requested this to Theo the Retard but he just rejected with any basis. the only armv6 platform that OpenBSD can run on is the Beagle Bone Black which is a piece of shit (no usb etc..) and cost way more and far less versatile then raspberry pi. Raspberry pi is so widespread nowadays. It just goes to show how departed from reality are the OpenBSD fucktards.

I win.
                      Wrong, you lose.

System32 is doing a public service at the expensive of himself so that other people will not be mislead by BSD propaganda and get tricked into using proprietary friendly software. I think you should thank System32 for his efforts and renounce BSD.

Comment

Working...
                      X