No announcement yet.

Btrfs Won't Likely Replace EXT4 As The Default Until Fedora 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just did some googling and the only example of a program having problems with noatime seems to be mutt.

So.... if you use mutt.... then relatime.
    If not, noatime.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
      I just did some googling and the only example of a program having problems with noatime seems to be mutt.

So.... if you use mutt.... then relatime.
      If not, noatime.
      Its not just mutt. There are several Unix administrative components that rely on atime as well. Moreoever disabling atime breaks POSIX compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        Also, the msata will be 128 GB just for the system, so almost whole will be empty. As far as I know this is good for SSDs. And the swap will be to the hdd
        SSDs are quite durable these days; go ahead and put your swap there, too. If the system has to swap to disk for some reason, let it be fast still

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        plus there will be no UEFI so no reason for advanced partitioning.
        I'm not sure it's possible to get a machine without UEFI firmware these days. You can, of course, run the firmware in BIOS compatibility mode, but UEFI is pretty cool and worth taking the time to learn.

Comment

"atime" ... breaks POSIX.

And if only few apps use POSIX for atime... then maybe there is reason for that...

Like abnormal performance penalty, where good alternatives do exist?

"Wayland choose systemd"

And a lot more Linux specific features. For that matter without that Linux specific features Wayland would not be possible.
          DRI1 driver stack is ill suited for some goodies from Wayland.

Hence new requirements in Weston, hence systemd in weston (if we require Linux-only features for drawing anything... we may as well go for requiring it for non-critical features)...

* I'm not involved in any of those projects. Just provided some humanized reasoning.

Btrfs
          The other day I was playing with Archlinux and Btrfs disk (like in whole disk /dev/sda sacrificed for single Btrfs partition), with subvol's.

Quite nice. Sadly by default Arch kernel wont boot my disk so initramfs is still needed. Though single file system idea is apealing!
          (If one can accept lack of swap, or swap that is underperforming)

Sadly then I needed production environment, while I just installed Arch. (post tweaking to my liking take time, I would gladly spent if I had it)
          OpenSuSE with 40GB Btrfs and XFS for /home is replacing that setup now. (That seam to be default for Beta 13.1)
          No problems so far that that setup.*

* Can Btfs keep snapshots on separate partitions like in XFS formated /home?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Personally, I'd recommend EXT4 for normal desktop/gaming usage right now. XFS is great for servers and machines with a bunch of disks, but I don't think it will help you out at all.
            I use XFS for my PCs for over 10 years with good results, but I've never used it in SSDs and I wonder how good it is for them.

Comment

I hope this btrfs by default craze does not creep into the ubuntu camp.

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                SSDs are quite durable these days; go ahead and put your swap there, too. If the system has to swap to disk for some reason, let it be fast still
                Good point

I'm not sure it's possible to get a machine without UEFI firmware these days. You can, of course, run the firmware in BIOS compatibility mode, but UEFI is pretty cool and worth taking the time to learn.
                Indeed, it supports UEFI. I simply have not used it before. I have made a new thread. You are welcome to check
                Last edited by Apopas; 06 October 2014, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  First off... make your own thread
                  Here!

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                    I hope this btrfs by default craze does not creep into the ubuntu camp.
                    The only thing missing from these nice filesystems is a nice implementation. The technology exists to have operating systems that are fail proof since a working configuration can always be restored.

I think ubuntu might try to be the first to offer a nice implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post

"Wayland choose systemd"

And a lot more Linux specific features. For that matter without that Linux specific features Wayland would not be possible.
                      DRI1 driver stack is ill suited for some goodies from Wayland.

Hence new requirements in Weston, hence systemd in weston (if we require Linux-only features for drawing anything... we may as well go for requiring it for non-critical features)...
                      Do you have any sources to support those claims?

Comment

Working...
                      X