No announcement yet.

Btrfs Won't Likely Replace EXT4 As The Default Until Fedora 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relatime still hits you the first time you access a file. I am still curious as to why it isn't set to noatime by default. I know they say on the description that some old email program would fail,... but does anyone actually know of a program that still uses it? I turned it off because thats that much more drive wear.

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
      Enlighten me. Answer the question, please?
      And don't tell me "it's not going to happen"(I did say "if") or "it's not relevant"(coz I just want to know for curiosity, not for pragmatism).

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
        Relatime still hits you the first time you access a file. I am still curious as to why it isn't set to noatime by default. I know they say on the description that some old email program would fail,... but does anyone actually know of a program that still uses it? I turned it off because thats that much more drive wear.
        Yes, there are several. I gave you an example. Mutt

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          Hi there. I am planning on installing Fedora 21 Workstataion on a SSD next week. Do I need to manually change some BTRFS optioms to get good performance(not best, I need the failchecks) and more lifespan.
          You shouldn't need to change any options. I would recommend a good backup however.

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
            systemd is used in Wayland desktops and Root-less Xorg set up's
            I thought it wasn't a dependency of Wayland? I did hear that GNOME on Wayland needs systemd, but is it required by Wayland per se, and does Weston need it too?

Comment

Originally posted by busukxuan View Post
              I thought it wasn't a dependency of Wayland? I did hear that GNOME on Wayland needs systemd, but is it required by Wayland per se, and does Weston need it too?
              Wayland does not depend on systemd or any other init system. If one of the compositors makes use of systemd is entirely up the developers. The Weston developers chose to use it, quite sad for a reference implementation of a system that wants to replace X, which is also used on platforms where systemd is not available.

Comment

Hi guys.
                I'm building a new desktop pc. It's gonna have 1 msata ssd where I'm gonna install the system and 2 hdds 4TB each one which I'm gonna use for /home and backup. I was thinking to use XFS for al 3 disks. What do you propose?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                  Hi guys.
                  I'm building a new desktop pc. It's gonna have 1 msata ssd where I'm gonna install the system and 2 hdds 4TB each one which I'm gonna use for /home and backup. I was thinking to use XFS for al 3 disks. What do you propose?
                  First off... make your own thread, this one is likely to continue to have a deluge of trolls with your post being largely ignored
                  Second off, I would suggest asking here instead http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/
                  Third, while you have informed us as to what physical disks you're going with you haven't told us important information like if you intend to RAID the 2 HDDs together or leave them as separate, and what you intend to use this desktop for.

Comment

Thanks for the answer, mate. I'll ask to the Linux questions and possibly I'll make a thread as well here.
                    I'm gonna use the hard disks separately. No RAID.
                    The PC will be used for gaming and multimedia stuff (image & video editing).
                    Also, the msata will be 128 GB just for the system, so almost whole will be empty. As far as I know this is good for SSDs.
                    And the swap will be to the hdd, plus there will be no UEFI so no reason for advanced partitioning.
                    Last edited by Apopas; 05 October 2014, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      Thanks for the answer, mate. I'll ask to the Linux questions and possibly I'll make a thread as well here.
                      I'm gonna use the hard disks separately. No RAID.
                      The PC will be used for gaming and multimedia stuff (image & video editing).
                      Also, the msata will be 128 GB just for the system, so almost whole will be empty. As far as I know this is good for SSDs.
                      And the swap will be to the hdd, plus there will be no UEFI so no reason for advanced partitioning.
                      Personally, I'd recommend EXT4 for normal desktop/gaming usage right now. XFS is great for servers and machines with a bunch of disks, but I don't think it will help you out at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X