GNOME 3.14 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
    Interesting perspective. I couldn't get into tiling WMs myself - the only tiling I really need is in my terminal and tmux/vim is wonderful for that. For the rest of my environment I usually just need either fullscreen or snapped to the side.
    With 4k whats coming next near big u need to use more than one app aside I think

I see tiling wm on another front I use most of the time also the fullscreen design, but I have some tiles on the top I can tab through with win up down I can then switch beteen them, of course u could do that also with workspaces but then it must be seperate workspaces dont know if gnome-shell does that? so I stay workspace X on right screen and move to another. And I can switch to my 2nd screen with win+w or if u have more normal config it would be win+2 and back with win+1 without moving the mouse, or just move with win+arrow key around the apps and on the side to the other monitor too.

But again even the defaults that apps dont automaticily maximise in gnome and if u want for a short time use windows on one desktop at the same time and they are not luckily 50/50, u have to move around with the mouse and try to hit exactly the edges of the apps and when u make the right one smaller the left one dont uses the free place automaticly sucks.

If u dont use the gnome apps or not much of them, and u dont use the cloud stuff, what does gnome give me what i3wm does not? I know at least the cloudstuff can be very important, should maybe the desktop itself should be more apealing, maybe videos and co are better but till now totem did not even support vdpau or only hard to configure or only nvidia based.

Btw how do u activate vaapi in smplayer, I cant get it running, intels linux driver gets also a bit to much high talk, had more problems with intel gpu then I ever had with amd apus

Comment

For me, GNOME is not yet perfect and maybe it will never be (by design). But, for me, it is what fits best in my workflow, and make things easier to me in many ways. The only real competitor (including Windows and OSX) is Ubuntu's Unity (impossible to use on Arch).

There are, things I miss on GNOME that I would love:
      - Better Rythmbox and even better Evince
      - Easier app categorization (drag and drop, just as in Android or iOS)
      - Notification center
      - Better folder icons (omg, the default icon is SO UGLY)
      - Full touchpad support (on its way)
      - Music and video search from Activities
      - Customizible gestures
      - Better performance (it's better now, but there is room for improvement)
      - Full Wayland support (we're close)
      - Better themes
      - More extensions (and a extension section on settings, linking to the website)

Two features I miss from Ubuntu's Unity: HUD and misspelling correction on search. Hud, for me, is very time saving, neat and feels just right on Ubuntu. I wish GNOME offered something like that. Misspelling correction is more basic and can save much time when searching.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
        While I found Xfce lacking since the months I am using it with Debian Jessie, this is a rather different pain than using Gnome.
        Xfce seems promising, only lacking some prime time polishing and integration (text-files getting opened with libreoffice??) - quite possibly being the default DM would have helped here, Gnome seems to have that time and is going further and further in the wrong direction.
        I really hate that "fat" windows and would miss the lack of something similar to Xfce`s toolbars.
        Xfce is practically dead. Just look at http://xfce.org/about/news/?lang=en
        No news since the April 2012 release.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Xfce is practically dead. Just look at http://xfce.org/about/news/?lang=en
          No news since the April 2012 release.
          Looks fairly active to me: http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/ http://git.xfce.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            those idiots actually insist on not having minimize/maximize buttons by default, wow.
            Haha! What use is a minimise button when there is no task bar...?

I can't wait for 3.14 to appear in the openSUSE Gnome STABLE repo.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              Maybe I could mix i3wm or another tiling wm with gnome-shell the tiling-wm plugins are just bad cant use them.
              That won't work AFAIK. WM and Compositor are built into gnome-shell, so it's not possible to replace them with somthing else/better.

Concerning tiling WM: I am using awesome wm. You basicay have to write your own WM using lua (instead of elisp), so you can do really great stuff! The default config is a good start. Together with compton it's an awesome experience

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
                Haha! What use is a minimise button when there is no task bar...?

I can't wait for 3.14 to appear in the openSUSE Gnome STABLE repo.
                They clearly intend it to act as an Android-ish exit button that does not really exit. Then when you try to start the program again from its icon, it should detect the running instance and pop it up.

/hopefully sarcasm

Comment

Does GNOME fully support Wayland yet?
                  If not, what is left?

Does GNOME Flashback session work on Wayland yet?
                  If not, will it ever?

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                    That won't work AFAIK. WM and Compositor are built into gnome-shell, so it's not possible to replace them with somthing else/better.

Concerning tiling WM: I am using awesome wm. You basicay have to write your own WM using lua (instead of elisp), so you can do really great stuff! The default config is a good start. Together with compton it's an awesome experience
                    At least with my Zacate System as far as I remember Awesome feeled a bit to slow or it was to buggy, it did the job but i3wm was a bit better, think also liked the default key bindings better, and the config structure. Can u evaluate small portion of code in your config like u would do in emacs? If not I prefer elisp

The whole reload anything shotgun aproach is to undynamic for me, seen better dont want to go back from that

They both are pretty similar, but in i3wm I have 250 lines of config and in awesome 600 lines, that does more or less the same. i3wm feeled a bit snappier, I am not so interested in learning lua, also the doku/wiki of awesome is pretty much hit or miss, some stuff there works not.

And even if you look on updates, i3wm has every 4-6 months a major release, while the last major release for awesome is 22 months old, even the last minor release 3.5.5 is 5 months old, while the last release of i3wm only 3.
                    Of course it depends on how big the changelogs are of that releases, but even that does not mean much if u use a language which is more vorbose u get more changes and even if not u can have useless changes.
                    But even u can argue about the quality of the numbers the quantities and dates speak for i3wm: 230 commits this year while awesome had 75.
                    I would have to checkout both trees and diff it with --stat to see how much lines that was but even if awesome would be ahead there, it also says not to much.

They are both pretty close, like lets say u compare which is the better gnome distro fedora or archlinux (its not only gnome distro but has a current gnome availible too).

This numbers beside, i3wm feeled a bit more snappier and I think I liked more how it handels dualhead or more than that, another monitor is more or less only another workspace, thats great becuase u dont need to learn special commands to switch monitor or workspace, because its the same. Thats such small feature that matters if in general both do besides that more or less the same good job.

And as not-lua developer the config file was easier to manage. But for tiling wm beginners, I think awesome is the best no question about that. And maybe it works better with stronger machines also for geeks. Of course also many geeks use awesome

And the dwm guys laught about me, because I dont write C code and compile my own fork of dwm all the time and my i3wm is so slow But I have no Pentium 90 anymore so I think it does not matter

Comment

@blackiwid
                      Probably missing snappiness is caused by bad vsync? I think I remember sluggish scrolling before I started using compton.
                      Concerning the rest of your points:
                      Yes, lua isn't lisp. And lua isn't .ini. But lua+awesome offers great flexibiliy - which I just mention because you explicitly asked for some kind of lisp-programmable WM. And writing a tiling WM in about 600 lines of code should be considered awesome

Comment

Working...
                      X