Wasteland 2 Officially Launched Today, Including For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
    The game is also broken on Arch Linux and I bet it doesn't work under Ubuntu as well. I'm happy to test it on both and I'm sure the result will be the same.
    Sorry to disappoint - works perfectly on my desktop (14.04/660GTX with closed source NVidia) another desktop (14.04/6850 with Radeon driver) and two laptops (both 14.04/Ivy Bridge and Intel drivers).
    Your turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
      I suppose insulting Ryan will definitely get him to work. OTOH: Why not get the required OS? It says: "OS: SteamOS, Ubuntu 12.04 or later, or otherwise compatible Linux distribution." And to rub it in: It works like a charm on my Ubuntu.
      Because if they support Linux they should support Linux? Anyway, hopefully all the games will work on my Debian because it is also the base of SteamOS, but really, you can't expect full support with any random linux disto, but you could expect it to at least work or fail in a non-crashing way.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint - works perfectly on my desktop (14.04/660GTX with closed source NVidia) another desktop (14.04/6850 with Radeon driver) and two laptops (both 14.04/Ivy Bridge and Intel drivers).
        Your turn.
        Hmm... maybe a user called "ihatemichael" is a troll? especially when posting on a site run by a guy called michael?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
          I just tried it on Ubuntu, crashed before the game even started.

Just like I thought it would, I give up.
          I'm pretty sure you are just making this up to "prove" you were right from the beginning.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you are just making this up to "prove" you were right from the beginning.
            Nope. Not making this up. Have you actually read the bug report?

I actually downloaded Ubuntu 14.04 and booted the ISO straight from GRUB2 loopback booting. Installed all the dependencies, SDL2, libgl, etc, and the game (Limbo) segfaulted/hung before I was able to start a new game.

I also have to mention that this is the native and DRM free version from the Humble Store (Limbo-Linux-2014-06-18.sh). I don't use Steam.

Sorry about overreacting with this, I realize there are good ports and bad ports, it's just frustrating when game developers release a game and then forget about it, no more releases or bug fixes.

Should I try Ubuntu 12.04 now?
            Last edited by ihatemichael; 20 September 2014, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
              Your other posting has links to a bug tracker at Ryan Gordon's site. Did you buy the game from him directly?

Cheers,
              _
              I got the free DRM version from the Humble Store. I don't use Steam.

Comment

I also have to mention that when I start the game for the first time (after reinstalling), the game won't crash (on Arch), but after closing the game and restarting it, it crashes at the start of the game or during the main menu.

Comment

Your turn.
                  Was that with the Limbo from Steam? I don't use Steam. The problem I experience is with the Limbo from humble bundle (native version).

Limbo-Linux-2014-06-18.sh

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                    I have more than 20 steam games on Linux, and they all work, most of them perfectly. The only one that had any issue was "Quest of Infamy" because the ancient Sierra like emulator it ran on works like crap on Linux.
                    I don't use Steam, the version of Limbo I have problems with is the one from the humble bundle (Limbo-Linux-2014-06-18.sh).

Comment

Originally posted by kilobug View Post
                      I'm sorry to hear that. There are some bad ports yes, and it's sad when you buy a game that doesn't work. But don't generalize over one single bug. I bought several Linux games on Humble Bundle and on GOG.com, and never had any serious issue. All Unity games work very smoothly for example. And I'm using the free mesa drivers (on a Radeon hd6850).

Also please note that GOG.com has a 30-days warranty : if the technical support doesn't solve your problems, and you bought the game less than 30 days ago, they'll give you back the money : http://www.gog.com/support/website_h...back_guarantee . If it's not too late for your case, try to contact them.
                      Yeah, sorry for overgeneralizing, I have played hundred of games arlready (from GOG and Humble Bundle), and some games work quite well I must say. The Unity games I never had problems with, and I'll keep buying and supporting those games.

It has just been frustrating that the one I wanted to play never works, I guess I'll have to stick to wine for that one. Anyway, sorry for overreacting with this, I guess I'll contact GOG or the Humble Bundle folks.

Comment

Working...
                      X