Valve Begins Publicly Tracking AMD Catalyst Linux Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    They probably don't have the competence on staff to write drivers for somebody else's GPU hardware. It's AMD's responsibility to provide drivers for their hardware and they've never been particularly good at it.
    I hate the catalyst-driver to, but I think they got pretty good skills on their payroll, I'm convinced the linux-Catalyst-driver just does not got enough priority...

Lets hope AMD hardware isn't important for Steammachine resellers.

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
      So is there any reason for Valve not to help with opsensource drivers? I understand they're not pros but they could hire some smart devs and help out with clean realization of the drivers.
      Valve does help to open source drivers and they sponsored LunarG to improve Intel open source driver. Problem with AMD it's fact that they are not promote Radeon / R600g / RadeonSI as their main driver so obviously Valve not going to promote it like that either.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
        I have all of this problems , A8 5600K, I tried every distro , gentoo, sabayon, debian, ubuntu, archlinux, opensuse, fedora, rosa linux etc etc
        Hmm...well...it could be difference between our APUs (i have the latest, maybe it works better) or it could difference in kernel versions. I got a lot better performance when I upgraded to 3.16. And oh, I only run stable drivers. That is: 14.4 right now....

Also, I'm running KDE and if I don't check the checkbox for "disable KDE opengl when running fullscreen applications" (ok, I admit, I don't remember the exact name and I am at work and cant check it right now), then I get a lot of problems when running catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
          More stable? You must not have radeonsi hardware then.

Last I checked about 2-3 weeks ago, open-source drivers were incredibly unstable on my 7850. Things like web browsing and even looking at pictures caused GPU restarts, and prior to that, there were even issues with VDPAU playback causing hard locks.

Although if I understand right, this is mainly kernel-related, and affects 3.15 through 3.17rc1 (haven't tried anything higher). Ideally though, I'd prefer not to be stuck on 3.14 to have a 90-ish% stable experience.

fglrx gets a lot of criticism, but for general desktop usage, I found it pretty stable. Even with games it was stable, aside from a few games in Wine in my experience.

I would prefer to use the open-source driver, but I would also like to use my computer comfortably and not be stuck on outdated components if it can be helped.
          your problem is a known bug that seems to affect certain GCN cards like pitcairn, luckily my Cape Verde 7770 is unaffected and is rock solid 100% of the time, anyway if you haven't go to freedesktop.org bugzilla and search radeonsi and add your hardware info and crash conditions to the corresponding bug report (random crash radeonsi)

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
            Yes but works now at Valve :
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
            X