Yet Another Linux Distro Trying To Cater Towards Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
    As a not-very-related but quite peculiar sidenote, it appears that their webserver is running on Windows. (There's a link at the bottom that takes you to http://play-linux.com/team.aspx)
    LOL, yep:

Server:Microsoft-IIS/8.5
    X-AspNet-Version:4.0.30319
    X-Powered-By:ASP.NET

Comment

Originally posted by ClosureSpin View Post
      In fact, they are detrimental to the Linux gaming community. The idea of an OS specialized for a single task makes little sense.
      Sort of, I think SteamOS is doing some interesting stuff that's worthwhile, like shipping fixed drivers, optimized compositors, etc. Those may make it back into other distros, too.

Comment

Distro for gamers based on LTS release... Makes so much sense with all the progress happening in kernel and graphics stack often aimed at 3D apps

Comment

little sense?

Maybe stop giving them publicity? I don't think that they deserve it. In fact, they are detrimental to the Linux gaming community. The idea of an OS specialized for a single task makes little sense.

The goals of these distros could just as well be accomplished by a blog post about how to set up one of the popular distros for gaming - in the end, that's all these distros really are - preconfigured existing software without any real infrastructure or dev effort like the popular ones -> except with the disadvantage of being packaged like an operating system.

Which implies inflexibility of all sorts, and ultimately inconvenience for the users - undermining both their own goal, and Linux in a broader sense.
          why little sense?

Comment

Latest from upstream...

Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Phoronix's Professionalism

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Latest from upstream...
              Hey Michael,
              You definitely know how to be proffessional... why not to post emails in the forum?

I think the Contact page should be called "Account-free Forum"...

You're doing a great job,
              Michael...

Comment

1000+ distributions. Thinks his distribution is worth testing compared to all others without presenting what's special about it other than themes and appearance.
                Come on man. You have to try harder Play Linux. Your website doesn't provide a single reasoning as to why it's special compared to the other thousand or so distros. I damn well can't test all of them so it has to be presented in such a way that catches my attention, something that I can't just append to my current system.

Comment

fully agree

Maybe stop giving them publicity? I don't think that they deserve it. In fact, they are detrimental to the Linux gaming community. The idea of an OS specialized for a single task makes little sense.

The goals of these distros could just as well be accomplished by a blog post about how to set up one of the popular distros for gaming - in the end, that's all these distros really are - preconfigured existing software without any real infrastructure or dev effort like the popular ones -> except with the disadvantage of being packaged like an operating system.

Which implies inflexibility of all sorts, and ultimately inconvenience for the users - undermining both their own goal, and Linux in a broader sense.
                  fully agree ++1

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                    1000+ distributions. Thinks his distribution is worth testing compared to all others without presenting what's special about it other than themes and appearance.
                    Come on man. You have to try harder Play Linux. Your website doesn't provide a single reasoning as to why it's special compared to the other thousand or so distros. I damn well can't test all of them so it has to be presented in such a way that catches my attention, something that I can't just append to my current system.
                    You missed the whole point, it's THE distro for gamers, yet not just to game on

It includes the magnificient Kosmos app, even if it doesn't say what it is, it has to be great right?

Now I'm excited to soon see THE distro for workers coming up, yet you can also play games with it!

Comment

His mail reads like that of a goddamn child, and yet he actually goes out of his way to say t is in fact not a kid's distro.

This is just painful, I almost wish Michael would remove the whole post (and forum thread).

...I don't actually want you, though, from pain comes strength.

Comment

Working...
                      X