Steam On Linux Competes To Stay Above 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    ...and Gallium Nine needs the open-source drivers that are unsupported by all official porting efforts.
    Vangers support all OpenSource drivers and Gentoo distr too.
    Mind-altering sandbox game that can be described as a racing role-playing adventure game with a complicated storyline. You’ll find a unique atmosphere, complete freedom and lots of gameplay hours to figure out what’s the game is all about.

Comment

I've got a few games

I have L4D2, Portal 1 and 2, and the latest Serious Sam. But a bunch of my other games only work on windows . It really bums me out. I'd rather stay in Linux 100% of the time to play my games. Hopefully Mantle and/or Mantle code going into OpenGL-Next, will allow us better compatibility for games in Linux. If Mantle could equal or be better than DirectX (which I'm sure is very possible) we may start seeing almost all games being compatible to some degree. And the fact that Mantle can run an any GPU using GCN (Meaning its not restricted to AMD GPUs only) it could be the future of openGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
        No reason to switch? As if Microsoft letting the NSA and FBI Spy on you isn't enough; why would you want to use an OS (Windows) that DEGRADES in performance over time?. And it's been suggested the performance degradation was intentional, as to force you to upgrade since the performance decrease usually comes when a new OS is ready to be sold.

Use your Brains people instead of your Fanboy motives.
        Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Comment

When I look around me I see the following :

- Linux users (like Apple users) play less than Windows users
          - A lot of Linux users just installed Steam to try it
          - People who started using Linux because there was Steam got back to Windows because they wanted an unavailable game

So "1%" is for me a logical and stable number, not a disaster.

Personally I am part of this "1%" : I exclusively play on Linux since 10 years, before with Wine and now only on Steam.
          For my usage there are already enough games (I am a "basic" gamer who plays ~12 hours by week to Dota2, Civ5, TF2, L4D, Metro etc.), and I really feel that once AAA games will come all those stories about backward compatibility will be useless (Wine will do the job easily for "oldies").

Globally I am confident in Valve's strategy : pressuring developments in the good way, inhome streaming for PC owners and finally SteamBoxes.
          If Valve's plans succeed because of this synergy, next gen console winner may be a simple 200$ box, then Linux users earn the jackpot of new good games (both systems would have the same titles approx.).

In fact only Sony and M$ consoles are in danger here because this cheap box will be directly connected on TV... (Nintendo has a lot of big own AAA licences Mario Zelda etc. so it is a different case)

If it fails... then well let's keep Wine running, nothing to loose
          As always a lot of unknown actors and events still can happen...

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
            I am a "basic" gamer who plays ~12 hours by week to Dota2, Civ5, TF2, L4D, Metro etc.
            I consider 12 hours per week quite a lot!
            That's almost two hours per day on average.
            I wouldn't even have the time for it.

Comment

This is what my wife says. But for an ex ranked player at Warcraft3, it is just a "fix"

Comment

Obviously nobody's going to switch to Linux full-time since there is yet to be a distro that isn't a heaping pile of steaming shiit.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  Obviously nobody's going to switch to Linux full-time since there is yet to be a distro that isn't a heaping pile of steaming shiit.
                  I guess your life is a nightmare!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    What's wrong with Mint, Ubuntu, Manjaro, and Elementary OS?

Comment

With GOG entering the scene, I'm really not surprised Steam stats are tanking a bit. Meanwhile website stats are staying around the 1.4% mark.

Comment

Working...
                      X