X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not buying from MSI. That's for sure.

Comment

Windows live USB

I had the same problem with a Sony VAIO laptop running only Linux. Sony only provides a Windows executable to update the BIOS. After trying many things, the way that finally succeeded was a Windows 7 live USB image - not exactly legitimate, but it works. What a heavywieght way to flash BIOS!

Comment

I don't have similar problem with my current mobo MSI A88XM GAMING. I can update UEFI via M-Flash menu in UEFI.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
          Not buying from MSI. That's for sure.
          Read the comments in this thread. You can update the BIOS/UEFI, actually. The hardware quality in 2014 is good, like with all other manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
            I don't have similar problem with my current mobo MSI A88XM GAMING. I can update UEFI via M-Flash menu in UEFI.
            But how do you get the BIOS file?

The situation in-question is that while MSI does offer the BIOS, they have it in a Windows-only format (archive > Windows executable > BIOS File) and also impose conditions to make it hard to even get the BIOS file when running Windows (you have to be running Windows on that motherboard if you want that BIOS extracted; can't run it on some non-related computer). Once you get it out of that WIndows-only archive though, you're free to flash it however you want (from UEFI, Flashrom, Win98, etc).

From what someone said above, it seems not all of MSI's BIOS packages are like that, and include the actual BIOS file in the archive. The GD80V2 I mentioned didn't do this though, but it's last BIOS came out late 2013.

Should also note Acer also does this.

Comment

probably the best option

Originally posted by naveed View Post
              I had the same problem with a Sony VAIO laptop running only Linux. Sony only provides a Windows executable to update the BIOS. After trying many things, the way that finally succeeded was a Windows 7 live USB image - not exactly legitimate, but it works. What a heavywieght way to flash BIOS!

http://i3szak.megadl.fr/en/7_Ultimat..._iMortaluz.zip
              This looks like the best option to me if you're in a hurry and just want to get it done, quick and easy. Maybe not 100% legitimate but hey, you can consider this a trial of Windows because after all you're using it for what, 15 minutes ?

Another 100% legitimate option would be to run binwalk (https://github.com/devttys0/binwalk) on the executable and then just extract the archive with dd from it. Then simply unpack the achive ( a zip most likely ) and you should be done.

Comment

This is really really stupid of MSI. A BIOS is what you need in order to load an OS. It should not fscking need an OS to begin with. They should just ship the ROM's, compressed as zip if they must, but that should be it. Before buying ANY mobo, I check how easy it is to flash it, and make my decision based on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Same with Sony. Try the Windows live USB on the actual hardware to be flashed. In my case, it went ahead and flashed the image in the live session as well. After a reboot, everything was up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

The situation in-question is that while MSI does offer the BIOS, they have it in a Windows-only format (archive > Windows executable > BIOS File) and also impose conditions to make it hard to even get the BIOS file when running Windows (you have to be running Windows on that motherboard if you want that BIOS extracted; can't run it on some non-related computer). Once you get it out of that WIndows-only archive though, you're free to flash it however you want (from UEFI, Flashrom, Win98, etc).

From what someone said above, it seems not all of MSI's BIOS packages are like that, and include the actual BIOS file in the archive. The GD80V2 I mentioned didn't do this though, but it's last BIOS came out late 2013.

This problem sesames affect only the older motherboards http://us.msi.com/support/mb/Z97_GAM...html#down-bios they is a file E7918IMS.230 with can by flashed directly from UEFI menu.

Comment

I have a MSI motherboard, upgraded the UEFI several times and never ran into this problem. The extracted file is already in the zip. However, my board isn't brand new, either (B75A-G43), so the latest one is from 2013.

So I guess it's a good idea to check whether the firmware updates have non-EXE files in the download before buying...

Comment

Working...
                      X