Red Hat Is Hiring To Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    Their hardware is just as capable as Nvidia's, they're just slacking with software outside of the Windows platform.

I would have to disagree, their software is slacking on both Windows and Linux, although I blame the Windows issues on the whole XP support thing, because apparently the older Windows like XP or even 7 aren't having the same issues I am with mouse corruption, OpenCL not detected, HDMI audio/video output issues...

Unless AMD is going to basically rewrite their drivers from scratch to compete better with NVidia and Intel, we'll probably be stuck with them. The thing is that more people complain on Windows so AMD patches those relatively fast. In comparison, when I use catalyst I have other and often worse issues than those. With the open source drivers, the experience is nice and smooth, much like the NVidia drivers on Windows, hey just don't perform as well in FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
      Unless AMD is going to basically rewrite their drivers from scratch to compete better with NVidia and Intel, we'll probably be stuck with them. The thing is that more people complain on Windows so AMD patches those relatively fast. In comparison, when I use catalyst I have other and often worse issues than those. With the open source drivers, the experience is nice and smooth, much like the NVidia drivers on Windows, hey just don't perform as well in FPS.
      With the move to OpenGL-Next (or whatever they call it) they have the chance to move the whole stack to G3D on all OSes and have drivers that work on all of them. I don't know if there are any legal problems with this -and probably need backward compatibility- but since G3D is supposed to work everywhere it is a possibility. I doubt it will ever happen though.

Comment

Look, kid. I just described to you how I dealt with it. I know puberty makes you feel tough, but please lay it off, it's annoying.

Also, they're not ATI anymore, and they don't suck. Their hardware is just as capable as Nvidia's, they're just slacking with software outside of the Windows platform. But they're helping open source, which makes them better than Nvidia in my book.

Have a nice day, kid.
        They maintain a parallel proprietary driver. I wouldn't say they are exactly committed to open-source.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
          I would have to disagree, their software is slacking on both Windows and Linux, although I blame the Windows issues on the whole XP support thing, because apparently the older Windows like XP or even 7 aren't having the same issues I am with mouse corruption, OpenCL not detected, HDMI audio/video output issues...

Interesting. My experience with AMD showed that they're equal with Nvidia on Windows, and waaay behind on Linux. Especielly since they stopped releasing drivers every month and instead released "when it makes sense."

Comment

Originally posted by somini View Post
            They maintain a parallel proprietary driver. I wouldn't say they are exactly committed to open-source.
            No, not as much as we'd like. But compared to Nvidia, the kings of proprietary, they are very committed.

Comment

Originally posted by somini View Post
              Ah yes they are so uncommitted to open source because they maintain a proprietary driver for linux for their workstation crowd when the open source drivers are still not at feature or performance parity, I mean they obviously should have abandoned the proprietary driver a long time ago when they started the radeon project despite the fact that it took until kernel 3.13 to get dynamic powermanagement developed and enabled by default obviously that would have been a great business strategy for them to take... not

The fact is they're doing right now what they need to do, and they will continue needing to hang onto that proprietary driver for at least another 2 years (in order to get up to current with OpenGL), and maybe another year or two after that depending upon where OpenCL and general performance are at that point. Then and only then would it make any sort of business sense for AMD to drop catalyst support for linux and maybe shift over to a Mesa/G3D based driver for Windows. Until then, complaining about them also maintaining the proprietary driver is just plain silly.

Comment

To be honest, I wish people would focus on the FOSS AMD drivers. Then when AMD is the only choice for Linux, Nvidia will finally realise they've screwed up with their attitude.

Of course, I know that's not how the world works, but I'll try to buy second hand Nvidia hardware to avoid them getting a sale.

Regarding the article. I think this is about both vendors. If it's only about Nouveau, I'll get mad.
                I, too, would like Nvidia to do more for the open-source driver, but they're not morally obligated to. They're a business in a competitive market, and market forces are deciding their strategy more or less. You can't complain that much because they provide an excellent proprietary driver.

Comment

I guess I need to start learning how to code. Always wanted to work for Google, but I'd love to work for RH too.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    I, too, would like Nvidia to do more for the open-source driver, but they're not morally obligated to. They're a business in a competitive market, and market forces are deciding their strategy more or less. You can't complain that much because they provide an excellent proprietary driver.
                    Complaining about proprietary software shouldn't make you feel guilty of something; it's a right.

Comment

Interesting. My experience with AMD showed that they're equal with Nvidia on Windows, and waaay behind on Linux. Especielly since they stopped releasing drivers every month and instead released "when it makes sense."
                      They haven't been releasing monthly windows drivers either. Last one was april '14.

Comment

Working...
                      X