It's Now Possible To Play Netflix Natively On Linux Without Wine Plug-Ins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hondaman View Post
    How did you get them to install without all the crazy dependency problems?

You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    libnss3 : Breaks: libnss3:i386 (!= 2:3.16.3-1ubuntu1) but 2:3.15.4-1ubuntu7 is installed
    libnss3:i386 : Breaks: libnss3 (!= 2:3.15.4-1ubuntu7) but 2:3.16.3-1ubuntu1 is installed
    libnss3-nssdb : Depends: libnss3 (= 2:3.15.4-1ubuntu7) but 2:3.16.3-1ubuntu1 is installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
    Native Netflix Linux playback is reported to be working in beta builds of Google Chrome — no Wine-based app or PPA required.

or
    Bom, ontem foi publicado no site phoronix que já é possível utilizar o Netflix sem que seja necessário instalar o Pipelight. Então, segue ab...

Modifique a vers?o no Sources.list
    sed -i 's/trusty/utopic/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

Atualize
    apt-get update

Instala??o das Bibliotecas necess?rias para o Chrome Unstable
    apt-get install libnss3 libnss3-1d

Volte para trusty no sources.list
    sed -i 's/utopic/trusty/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    apt-get update

Comment

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
      That's cool but even so with Netflix I would rather watch it on Netflix than pirate it. It's easier and I can do it on any device. I don't understand your point. My original point still stands that you can't have media without some sort of copy-protection. Netflix does this in two ways, one via encrypted media extensions and two by making it easier to watch on Netflix than to pirate, at least for americans. They're not going to get rid of encrypted media extensions likely for a lot of reasons, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. You can easily open the binary in IDA and tell that it's not doing anything malicious, and if it's not doing anything malicious I don't care. I am happy that it is a very minor and rather unintrusive form of DRM, much like Steam's DRM that has proven to be successful. If you don't like DRM, then don't expect anything involving any production value to come of it. Occasionally it will, but for the most part you'll wind up with the shit end of the stick, and unfortunately that's the way it works.
      1) audio industry shifted to no DRM, and it did not really increase piracy. 99+% of music sales are made without copy protection, and yet the music industry certainly involves some production of value, so maybe it's not as impossible as you say.
      2) There is zero popular DRMed media that is not available in a pirated version. In this context (what is usually called "piracy"), DRM is useless.

The fact that it's easier to use netflix than to pirate is completely irrelevant to the necessity of DRM. DRM is simply useless to fight heavy piracy. (on the other hand, pricing and convenience, as you noted, are efficient in fighting heavy piracy)

DRM is only ever useful for restricting local/light piracy, like sharing with family and friends, or in some cases, simply time shifting or device shifting. This is very useful for content providers because it represents consequent additional sales, but obviously you cannot market this directly.

Comment

Some of us don't want monetized "production value"

That's cool but even so with Netflix I would rather watch it on Netflix than pirate it. It's easier and I can do it on any device. I don't understand your point. My original point still stands that you can't have media without some sort of copy-protection. Netflix does this in two ways, one via encrypted media extensions and two by making it easier to watch on Netflix than to pirate, at least for americans. They're not going to get rid of encrypted media extensions likely for a lot of reasons, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. You can easily open the binary in IDA and tell that it's not doing anything malicious, and if it's not doing anything malicious I don't care. I am happy that it is a very minor and rather unintrusive form of DRM, much like Steam's DRM that has proven to be successful. If you don't like DRM, then don't expect anything involving any production value to come of it. Occasionally it will, but for the most part you'll wind up with the shit end of the stick, and unfortunately that's the way it works.
        I choose to keep monetized "production value" out of my life and out of my systems. I will keep DRM support disabled so no, you cannot watch Netflix on any of my computers and I intend to keep it that way. I don't have Software Center installed so as to remove support for paid software, same idea. The great thing about FOSS is choice: You can install Chrome and watch Netflix, I can keep closed binaries and DRM out and choose amateur content, rejecting monetized content. Hell, in the field of news (the kind of video I make) we should be able to drown out the paid corporate propaganda news like Fox on sheer volume and selection given enough time. No, my content won't look like it was shot on a $10,000 camera, but it does not need to and what I watch also does not need to.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
          1) audio industry shifted to no DRM, and it did not really increase piracy. 99+% of music sales are made without copy protection, and yet the music industry certainly involves some production of value, so maybe it's not as impossible as you say.
          2) There is zero popular DRMed media that is not available in a pirated version. In this context (what is usually called "piracy"), DRM is useless.

The fact that it's easier to use netflix than to pirate is completely irrelevant to the necessity of DRM. DRM is simply useless to fight heavy piracy. (on the other hand, pricing and convenience, as you noted, are efficient in fighting heavy piracy)

DRM is only ever useful for restricting local/light piracy, like sharing with family and friends, or in some cases, simply time shifting or device shifting. This is very useful for content providers because it represents consequent additional sales, but obviously you cannot market this directly.
          1. 99% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Spotify and the like (beats, google music) very much have DRM and they are gaining in popularity, quite probably over 1% of all music consumption. Streaming is the way to do media nowadays and as long as it is easier to stream than it is to pirate, I will stream instead of pirate.

Originally posted by Luke View Post
          I choose to keep monetized "production value" out of my life and out of my systems. I will keep DRM support disabled so no, you cannot watch Netflix on any of my computers and I intend to keep it that way. I don't have Software Center installed so as to remove support for paid software, same idea. The great thing about FOSS is choice: You can install Chrome and watch Netflix, I can keep closed binaries and DRM out and choose amateur content, rejecting monetized content. Hell, in the field of news (the kind of video I make) we should be able to drown out the paid corporate propaganda news like Fox on sheer volume and selection given enough time. No, my content won't look like it was shot on a $10,000 camera, but it does not need to and what I watch also does not need to.
          and more power to you. You have the freedom to be like that, and I respect that. You are aware of what you're getting, which I can completely understand. My problem is with people who claim Netflix should not implement basic DRM or things like media that had some insane production value for the sole purpose of making money should suddenly be free. As an aside, I can't stand the corporate propaganda news, either . I don't watch them, at all.

Comment

I'm okay with DRM being used with HTML5, anything to help displace Silverlight and Flash. The DRM module may be closed source but most of the code it'll be used with in HTML5 for Chrome and Firefox will be open source, it's not perfect but it still counts as a win. The more use of HTML5 will also help WebRTC displace Skype.

Comment

1. 99% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Spotify and the like (beats, google music) very much have DRM and they are gaining in popularity, quite probably over 1% of all music consumption. Streaming is the way to do media nowadays and as long as it is easier to stream than it is to pirate, I will stream instead of pirate.
              Well, spotify doesn't use drm (oss third party client) for example. And again, the more DRM, the less easy to stream, while it is exactly as easy to pirate. So do stream instead of pirating (I do the same), but don't claim DRM help in any way with that.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: It's Now Possible To Play Netflix Natively On Linux Without Wine Plug-Ins

Going back for a few years it's been possible to play Netflix movies on Linux using some hacks like with running Microsoft Silverlight on a modified version of Wine. More recently, Pipelight has been working out well as a easy-to-use solution for getting Netflix movies to play on Linux web-browsers, albeit it's still not a native experience. Fortunately, times are quickly changing...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1ODY
                For the Fedora users out there I am using Fedora 21 & Google Chrome 37 (stable). Netflix is now runnning natively for me. \o/

Comment

Originally posted by expectATIon View Post
                  For the Fedora users out there I am using Fedora 21 & Google Chrome 37 (stable). Netflix is now runnning natively for me. \o/
                  Humm, it's strange that it works for you. It used to work on my system (Fedora 20, Chrome 37 beta) but now whenever I try to start a movie, I'm sent to a page asking my to install Silverlight. I figured that Netflix had blocked this workaround.

What user agent are you using?

Comment

Netflix I guess blocked the old user agent. Use this one and it will work again.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3, Win64, x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2114.2 Safari/537.36

Comment

Originally posted by hondaman View Post
                      Netflix I guess blocked the old user agent. Use this one and it will work again.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3, Win64, x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2114.2 Safari/537.36
                      Nothing is working for me now

Comment

Working...
                      X