Catalyst 14.6 Beta Now Available For AMD Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu 14.04 and catalyst 14.4/14.6.
    A few days ago, eh ubuntu installed but the problem is in the catalyst, good and proper installation and then restart the pc. It erases all BIOS settings.
    Also start the "check button in memory motherboard" After all starts with purple ubuntu screen, but does not give the image.
    My PC is an AMD FX 8120 and 7870 asus motherboard Asus M5A88 diretcu-2 m. (32 sony bravia tv / lcd viewsonic 22 VX2240w). Hey tried this several times reinstall ubuntu 14.04 lts 3 times.
    Not much English so I apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
      Hi.

All looks like AMD update catalyst driver. In website they are uploaded new revision amd catalyst 14.6 beta. I know latest 14,6 beta is available from may but now we have new build from jul. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ta-driver.aspx

Anyone testing this or know what new?
      You should try

Comment

I installed it last night on Mint (Ubuntu) It still requires the file modification as outlined here http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...lyst_package_2 if you're using a 3.15.* or greater kernel.

Comment

I was happily running the 14.6 May release on Debian Jessie and Liquorix 3.14/3.15. This July one has issues with starting X though, too bad startx doesn't log by default.

Comment

The Witcher 2 with Catalyst 14.6 beta on A10-6800K

Continuing from previous posts, after TF2 and Civilization 5 I've tried the new release of The Withcher 2 : Enhanced Edition for linux. ( see previous posts in this thread about the linux machine hardware config )

Unfortunately, although the game is very stable, no crashes or or such, it is unplayable, even on medium-low settings at 1080p on the APU. I can get 12-16 fps at best.

This is why I don't get AMD's strategy. With what AMD CPU am I suppose to pair a mid-high end discrete Radeon GPU for these kinds of games ? The aging FX ? Why can't they release an 8-core Steamroller without the iGPU and either more L2 cache or 8MB L3 cache ? While the APUs havea lot of strengths, they can't really pull heavy duty graphics and AMD won't allow arbitrary crossfiring of iGPU and dGPU ( and it doesn't work correctly on linux anyway ).

If I put a dGPU in my system, the Catalyst driver 'automagically' disables the iGPU and I'm left with an 'FM2 Athlon x4' ... I just looked around to see if AMD launched updated versions of the FX and there are still the same old 120-220W (!) Bulldozers from the Bronze Age.

Comment

Originally posted by Agross View Post
              Continuing from previous posts, after TF2 and Civilization 5 I've tried the new release of The Withcher 2 : Enhanced Edition for linux. ( see previous posts in this thread about the linux machine hardware config )

Unfortunately, although the game is very stable, no crashes or or such, it is unplayable, even on medium-low settings at 1080p on the APU. I can get 12-16 fps at best.

This is why I don't get AMD's strategy. With what AMD CPU am I suppose to pair a mid-high end discrete Radeon GPU for these kinds of games ? The aging FX ? Why can't they release an 8-core Steamroller without the iGPU and either more L2 cache or 8MB L3 cache ? While the APUs havea lot of strengths, they can't really pull heavy duty graphics and AMD won't allow arbitrary crossfiring of iGPU and dGPU ( and it doesn't work correctly on linux anyway ).

If I put a dGPU in my system, the Catalyst driver 'automagically' disables the iGPU and I'm left with an 'FM2 Athlon x4' ... I just looked around to see if AMD launched updated versions of the FX and there are still the same old 120-220W (!) Bulldozers from the Bronze Age.
              They are working on a new architecture that should come out in 2016. Apparantly they are just trying to bide time until then... And they make more money on APU:s then FX...sp thats why they do it like this...(at last this is how I understand it)

Comment

Originally posted by Agross View Post

See previous articles about The Witcher 2 on Linux - it is low performance port, approved by many people .

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
                Last edited by dungeon; 19 July 2014, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X