The Quality Of The Witcher 2 Linux Port Is Upsetting Many Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
    Technically, no. The DMCA's Safe Harbor provision only applies to ISP's, which Phoronix is not. Thus, it falls on the sites to scrub their content.
    No, it applies to "Online Service Providers", not ISPs. That includes ISPs, along with normal websites, and this has been confirmed by multiple judges to include Youtube and Veoh, among other sites.

It does mean Phoronix has to abide by some provisions in order to qualify as an OSP.

OSPs must adhere to and qualify for certain prescribed safe harbor guidelines and promptly block access to alleged infringing material (or remove such material from their systems) when they receive notification of an infringement claim from a copyright holder or the copyright holder's agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
      Sorry but I respectfully disagree with you. Stealing implies that I take something away from you, when I copy data I'm just doing that, copying or sharing the data. You still have the original copy so I didn't steal anything from you.

Do you suggest we remove the copying functionality from operating systems or bittorrent just to ensure nobody will do this?

Sorry but I don't agree that sharing is stealing, it isn't.
      If license XYZ say: WE don't give YOU right to do some sort of things, do you still doing that?

4. License Restrictions. CDProjekt and/or its licensors own the title, copyright, and other intellectual property rights in the Software. The Software contains copyrighted material, trade secrets and other proprietary material. You may not delete the copyright notices or any other proprietary legends on the original copy of the Software. You may not decompile, modify, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise reproduce the Software. You may not copy, rent, lend, lease, sublicense, distribute, publicly display, create derivative works based upon the Software (except as set forth in this License) or otherwise commercially exploit the Software (including, without limitation, hosting pay-per-play servers). You may not electronically transmit the Software from one computer, console or other platform to another or over a network, excepted as allowed by the technical protection measures described in this License. You will use the Software only in compliance with applicable law.
      Last edited by dungeon; 28 May 2014, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        If license XYZ say: WE don't give YOU right to do some sort of things, do you still doing that?
        Yes.

Thanks, I ran out of toilet paper, I think the document above will do.

Comment

Thanks, I ran out of toilet paper, I think the document above will do.
          Yeah i know you must copy it again, so that can serve you as toilet paper Anyway thanks for the answer, that is what i thinking about your reasoning .

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            If you thought that was flaming, you haven't read any linux related mailing list or news group.

That user wasn't linux exclusive and if you are having those problems on linux when they don't exist on Windows or Mac then it stands to reason the problem exists in the platform.
            I'd like to be Linux exclusive, but unfortunately we're just not there. I was, up until around 2007 or so. I only bought games that had native Linux ports. Unreal Tournament games, Doom 3 and friends, Quake 3 Arena, Quake 4, Serious Sam etc. and I also played open source games. Then I bought Unreal Tournament 3, thinking there would be Linux files on the CD like the previous ones. I wanted to play it, so I did a Windows install that was supposed to be temporary until the Linux port got sorted. Of course, it never came. I then resigned myself to buying other games for Windows (online friends were playing Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2) and eventually got on Steam. Now I have assloads of games in Windows.

I pretty much gave up playing games on Linux. I still had UT2004 that I was able to get working because icculus made some 64 bit binaries in the last patch that was issued. (just needs some compatible 64 bit compiled libraries dropped in, like libstdc++.so.5) and still had anything with sources available, so if I had a few minutes to kill there was always something. I mostly just booted to Windows for games, but I couldn't really do that if I had work to do.

Now that there's Steam for Linux, I switched to a multilib distro (Mint) and I go to Windows much less often.

But there are some games where it's just a waste to play here, when they look and work so much better there. It was a comment... an opinion. Until I can get rid of Windows, I might as well use it for such games. I am trying not to buy any more games that are not available for Linux. I don't want to tie up any more money on anything for that asshole platform (Windows) for some day I will just forget about those games. Maybe in a few years.

At least some of these are somewhat playable on Linux for me, even if I have to go to Windows for better graphics and performance in the mean time.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
              Care to share your specs and fps? My performance is pretty consistently bad (15fps on highest settings, 20-25fps on lowest settings).
              Hello tpruzina, I've got an nvidia 660 gt, an AMD 8320 cpu, 12 gigs of ram. My witcher 2 settings are max everything, except motion blur (hate it) SSAO and ubersampling. My resolution is 1440x900 (my preferred) and I have my opengl version set to 3.2. I think that might be the big difference for me there. Not sure though, try it out.
              I have vsync disabled, and texture memory set to large.

Also latest nvidia drivers that I know of, not sure if that makes a difference.

Comment

Sorry but I respectfully disagree with you. Stealing implies that I take something away from you, when I copy data I'm just doing that, copying or sharing the data. You still have the original copy so I didn't steal anything from you.

Do you suggest we remove the copying functionality from operating systems or bittorrent just to ensure nobody will do this?

Sorry but I don't agree that sharing is stealing, it isn't.
                Yeah, stealing is the wrong terminology. Counterfeit would be more fitting, as copying and distributing without creators consent.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  Yeah, stealing is the wrong terminology. Counterfeit would be more fitting, as copying and distributing without creators consent.
                  Counterfeit goods are imitations. An exact copy that is bit for bit identical is not an imitation and so cannot be counterfeit. The correct term is copyright infringement. All other terms are sensationalist buzzwords.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                    Counterfeit goods are imitations. An exact copy that is bit for bit identical is not an imitation and so cannot be counterfeit. The correct term is copyright infringement. All other terms are sensationalist buzzwords.
                    Because the quality of a copy determines whether is to be seen as counterfeit or not, right. Rofl.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                      Because the quality of a copy determines whether is to be seen as counterfeit or not, right. Rofl.
                      Quality has nothing to do with it. What matters is if it's an imitation; a fake. Maybe you should go look up the definition of "counterfeit".

Comment

Working...
                      X