No announcement yet.

ALSA 1.0.23 Is Here With Better Linux Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my DNS screwed, or has the alsa-project domain expired?

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
      Someone better register it soon b4 a squatter gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        Alsa is high latency? Believe me, it's you that don't get it.
        I give up. You guys aren't even reading the links before posting BS.

Comment

I am quite happy with ALSA as underlying technology. The breakage and instabity has been with PULSEAUDIO and not ALSA since the beginning. That is both my opinion and that of others: http://old.nabble.com/uninstall-puls...html#a27759501.

I would like to see pulseaudio phased out and a generic, high-level and performant audio service be created via mature and stable technology: Jack. What would be especially useful is to target platforms and soundcards that have built-in multichannel mixing, and do all audio mixing, sample-rate conversion, etc. in the built-in DSP's on modern sound chips -- e.g. http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Ice1724 and http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Ice1712 . Be able to route and mix in hardware between 8-16 channels of sound, which should take care of most sound-needs on a workstation/desktop/laptop. Emulate in software (like pulseaudio) only for those who don't have hardware mixing in their soundcards, or for the rare cases where more than 8-16 channels of digital mixing is needed.

A layer acting like pulseaudio (without the suckage) would exist to have sound-needing apps request sound services -- at which point a Jack sound source/sink would be setup between the application and the inputs on the digital mixing bus presented by the sound hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
            Nope, not just you. That's embarrassing for someone

Comment

All I know is sound on several of the new integrated chipsets, even in Ubuntu 10.04, is poopykins. I don't think I've ever heard a Ubuntu button sound effect that didn't crackle. Now, that could be a configuration issue with just Ubuntu, or just Gnome, since I don't have that issue with most other programs, but it sucks regardless and is quite embarrassing in comparison to Windows.

Come on Linux, hurry up and be the awesomest. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                All I know is sound on several of the new integrated chipsets, even in Ubuntu 10.04, is poopykins. I don't think I've ever heard a Ubuntu button sound effect that didn't crackle. Now, that could be a configuration issue with just Ubuntu, or just Gnome, since I don't have that issue with most other programs, but it sucks regardless and is quite embarrassing in comparison to Windows.

Come on Linux, hurry up and be the awesomest. :P
                That's a pulseaudio "issue". Do not confuse pulseuadio(a sound server) with alsa(a set of drivers).

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                  @RealNC
                  I think the minor collection of sound cards supported in oss4, is the reason why it is not widely supported in different distributions.
                  Not only, OSS4 simply sucks. At least on my system. I couldn't listen to the music when I had some movie paused same time. No single problem with alsa on my system.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                    That's a pulseaudio "issue". Do not confuse pulseuadio(a sound server) with alsa(a set of drivers).
                    ALSA itself sucks here. To much latency. I don't even have pulse installed. The problem is dmix. It plainly sucks. Too much lag.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      Not only, OSS4 simply sucks. At least on my system. I couldn't listen to the music when I had some movie paused same time.
                      This only happens with ALSA here. Never with OSS4. ALSA simply sucks, no matter how I try to configure it.

Comment

Working...
                      X