Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon R9 290 Testing Update With Linux 4.10, AMDGPU-PRO 16.50

Phoronix: Radeon R9 290 Testing Update With Linux 4.10, AMDGPU-PRO 16.50

With the post Christmas ad rate slowdown I finally found the time to run some fresh tests on my Radeon R9 290 that since around Linux 4.7 has been performing abnormally slow but has been working fine with AMDGPU-PRO. I carried out some tests with Linux 4.10 and also ensured linux-firmware.git was the latest, but still it's somewhat of a mystery...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Where's the AMDGPU PRO result for Heaven?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Where's the AMDGPU PRO result for Heaven?
      Unigine Heaven was hanging with AMDGPU-PRO so I had to skip it there.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

You should try testing with the legacy firmware (BONAIRE_UVD.bin), by deleting bonaire_uvd.bin and updating initramfs. It's possible that the updated bonaire_uvd.bin that you got from git doesn't fully fix the performance regression introduced by the original bonaire_uvd.bin.

Comment

Better disable these units if you think that is kind of problem, there is a kernel parameters to disable uvd, vce, etc... that way those does not exist, firmwares won't even try to be loaded for these, etc... and if issue appear or something interfere only with some of those enabled - bingo
          Last edited by dungeon; 03 January 2017, 12:57 AM.

Comment

It may actually be a good idea to switch to a new distro in general. I started on Ubuntu, but Manjaro is what I'm on now, which is the first distro to permanently pull me away from Ubuntu. I would recommend it. With all that Mir stuff, Ubuntu is getting farther from the Linux community anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric-Gecko View Post
              With all that Mir stuff, Ubuntu is getting farther from the Linux community anyway.
              There is no Mir stuff in Kubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, etc.

Comment

Michael, perhaps you should test it on your Fedora system as well? Since you already have it running, it's perhaps not that much of a hassle to try out?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  There is no Mir stuff in Kubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, etc.
                  Yet.
                  Because when there is, there's also the possibility that Kubuntu will cease to exist.
                  And if Kubuntu ceases to exist, Mint KDE might cease as well, since it's directly based on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    Michael, perhaps you should test it on your Fedora system as well? Since you already have it running, it's perhaps not that much of a hassle to try out?
                    They are all racked up, but if you are talking about my main Fedora system, it's a NUC-like Cubi Box that is smaller than the size of a graphics card.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X