Linux 6.10 AMD P-State To Deliver Fixes, Better Support On Older Zen CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.10 AMD P-State To Deliver Fixes, Better Support On Older Zen CPUs

Phoronix: Linux 6.10 AMD P-State To Deliver Fixes, Better Support On Older Zen CPUs

The recent AMD P-State Linux driver patches for heterogeneous core CPU topology, Fast CPPC, and Core Performance Boost haven't made it to the Linux power management's "-next" branch ahead of the imminent Linux 6.10 cycle. Thus it looks like those features won't be ready to make it for v6.10 unless by chance being deemed ready in the coming days and then sent in as part of a secondary set of merge window changes. However, some other AMD P-State fixes/improvements are queued up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any way to find out which CPUs this applies to? I can't find a good overview or mapping for these codes.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
      Any way to find out which CPUs this applies to? I can't find a good overview or mapping for these codes.
      Actually everything Zen2 and above

Comment

My socket TRX40 Threadripper will be very happy with 6.10.

"The recent AMD P-State Linux driver patches for heterogeneous core CPU topology, Fast CPPC, and Core Performance Boost haven't made it to the Linux power management's "-next" branch ahead of the imminent Linux 6.10 cycle.​"

That's too bad.. I really wanted the Fast CPPC and CPB patches to land as well.
        Last edited by MastaG; 12 May 2024, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
          My socket TRX40 Threadripper will be very happy with 6.10.

"The recent AMD P-State Linux driver patches for heterogeneous core CPU topology, Fast CPPC, and Core Performance Boost haven't made it to the Linux power management's "-next" branch ahead of the imminent Linux 6.10 cycle.​"

That's too bad.. I really wanted the Fast CPPC and CPB patches to land as well.
          On CachyOS we are already testing the above mentioned series, e.G hetergoneous, Core Performance Boost and they have currently some issues.
          We have reported them already to AMD, but lets list them:
          - Zen 3 disabling one core boost does freeze the whole system
          - The Kernel cmdline amd-pstate setting is not respected (if you boot with amd-pstate=guided, it will use active)
          - Somehow power profiles daemon is not working anymore (not reported yet)

So, they need a bit more work right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post

On CachyOS we are already testing the above mentioned series, e.G hetergoneous, Core Performance Boost and they have currently some issues.
            We have reported them already to AMD, but lets list them:
            - Zen 3 disabling one core boost does freeze the whole system
            - The Kernel cmdline amd-pstate setting is not respected (if you boot with amd-pstate=guided, it will use active)
            - Somehow power profiles daemon is not working anymore (not reported yet)

So, they need a bit more work right now.
            Thx for the update!

Comment

Working...
            X