No announcement yet.

Git 2.45 Released With Initial SHA1/SHA256 Interoperability & Reftable Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.45 Released With Initial SHA1/SHA256 Interoperability & Reftable Support

Phoronix: Git 2.45 Released WIth Initial SHA1/SHA256 Interoperability & Reftable Support

Git 2.45 is out today as an important step forward for this widely-used, open-source distributed version control system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In case anybody is interested in it as well: gitoxide doesn't have reftable V2, yet:

Comment

As a person of lesser intelligence who suffers from an intelligence deficiency which hampers my mental abilities and a not-so-proud involuntary member of the mentally challenged community I feel excluded from Git which I perceive as an elitist software designed by the mentally gifted Linux kernel community for the mentally gifted Linux kernel community. For them, by them. The elites, the mentally gifted.

I am stupid so I edited code in the main branch instead of creating a new branch and now I can't pull or fetch or whatever. I don't even know the difference between pull and fetch so I just do both.

I try to start the web interface but it wont start and tells me I have to install a web server and configure that. How am I suppose to know how to do that? I don't know how to do that. Just start it, damnit!

I do a pull or a fetch, I don't know, and I get some error message that I need to pick some merge strategy or something, I don't know, to merge or rebase or something, I have no idea what any of that is, much less the difference.

I've heard about detached heads, I have no idea what it is, but it sounds terrifying!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        As a person of lesser intelligence who suffers from an intelligence deficiency which hampers my mental abilities and a not-so-proud involuntary member of the mentally challenged community I feel excluded from Git which I perceive as an elitist software designed by the mentally gifted Linux kernel community for the mentally gifted Linux kernel community. For them, by them. The elites, the mentally gifted.

I am stupid so I edited code in the main branch instead of creating a new branch and now I can't pull or fetch or whatever. I don't even know the difference between pull and fetch so I just do both.

I try to start the web interface but it wont start and tells me I have to install a web server and configure that. How am I suppose to know how to do that? I don't know how to do that. Just start it, damnit!

I do a pull or a fetch, I don't know, and I get some error message that I need to pick some merge strategy or something, I don't know, to merge or rebase or something, I have no idea what any of that is, much less the difference.

I've heard about detached heads, I have no idea what it is, but it sounds terrifying!
        Yawn

Signed the Elite

Comment

I don't even know the difference between pull and fetch so I just do both.

Maybe you could try tortoisehg first, if you have used tortoise-svn. but I feel it‘s less efficient than git for big repos.

Comment

... I edited code in the main branch instead of creating a new branch! ...
            I do this occasionally, you aren't alone

My approach to fixing this is, assuming you're still on master/main is:

1. run `git switch --create my-new-branch-name`
            2. run `git switch master` (or main, whichever you use in your repository)
            3. run `git rebase --interactive origin/master` (or origin/main, as appropriate, assuming your remote is "origin")
            4. in the editor that appears, edit it so that it says "drop" instead of "pick" for any commits that you don't want in master/main, then save and exit

Now, your commits are still over in the new branch you created in step 1, and they no longer appear in your local copy of master/main

Comment

Originally posted by jokeyrhyme View Post

I do this occasionally, you aren't alone

My approach to fixing this is, assuming you're still on master/main is:

1. run `git switch --create my-new-branch-name`
              2. run `git switch master` (or main, whichever you use in your repository)
              3. run `git rebase --interactive origin/master` (or origin/main, as appropriate, assuming your remote is "origin")
              4. in the editor that appears, edit it so that it says "drop" instead of "pick" for any commits that you don't want in master/main, then save and exit

Now, your commits are still over in the new branch you created in step 1, and they no longer appear in your local copy of master/main
              Please don't feed the troll. He posts the same nonsense copypasta in every single git thread

Comment

Serious question but, do you even know what a version control system is and what it's used for? I mean how do you expect to understand git, which is a specific VCS, if you don't know what a VCS is in the first place or what you need it for. Instead of git maybe you should learn how VCS works first.

The only thing I agree on is the git command line which you have to either memorize or write down some common operations you use yourself. Not hard to google though.

(And for others, I'm fully aware who this guy is since I kept bashing him previously, but here's an attempt at a serious helpful answer...)

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Serious question but, do you even know what a version control system is and what it's used for? I mean how do you expect to understand git, which is a specific VCS, if you don't know what a VCS is in the first place or what you need it for. Instead of git maybe you should learn how VCS works first.

The only thing I agree on is the git command line which you have to either memorize or write down some common operations you use yourself. Not hard to google though.
                  Yes, I do know what a version control software is and what it is used for. I have used Microsoft's Team Foundation Version Control (TFVC) on Azure DevOps. TFVC is a bit different from Git thought because TFVC is a VCS while Git is a DVCS so Git is distributed. TFVS is much easier than Git.

Comment

2024 and still no resume download support

All these programmers use this thing and it's still a piece of crap.

Comment

Working...
                    X