Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.9 Sees Further Security Hardening

Phoronix: Linux 6.9 Sees Further Security Hardening

With security concerns at all-time highs in the industry, Linux 6.9 is seeing yet more work to beef up its security hardening with various additional safety checks and other compile-time defenses for ensuring security best practices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Undefined Behavior Sanitizer" and people say that C is fine, Rust is useless...

luckily kernel devs aren't so narrow minded and, let's say it, incompetent!

Comment

I'd like to interject for a moment to talk about the treatment that RAM modules are subjected to by Michael!

Comment

Can't they just get good and not write security vulnerabilities? :3

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post
          "Undefined Behavior Sanitizer" and people say that C is fine, Rust is useless...

luckily kernel devs aren't so narrow minded and, let's say it, incompetent!
          What the fuck has this to do with memory safety when it's about signed integer overflow aka a CPU thing that most morons who just happily use "int" everywhere don't grasp?

Signed representations vary by CPU arch, and most of the time it's completely unintended to overflow in the first place (again, because of idiots who use int everywhere). Unless Rust doesn't use the CPU instructions to perform signed arithmetic then stfu.

Comment

As I said it's time for a new kernel, written from scratch.

How's this for an idea, it's coded in Python, we get someone other than Linus to maintain it, it's still open source but now under an MIT style license and a;; the drivers run in, I don't know, let's say ring 3.

Other than that nothing changes.

Oh, I forgot, the entire software stack is written in Python, and the DE, apps, kernel, utilities, everything comes from one central organization that manages everything strict, does not accept patches from anyone and everyone knows how to write big free code and they don't release anything until it is thoroughly tested.

Exactly like the Linux ecosystem currently is, with a few minor tweaks.

Comment

Working...
            X