GNOME 42 Mutter Lands Fix For Using The Old "Radeon" Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 42 Mutter Lands Fix For Using The Old "Radeon" Graphics Driver

Phoronix: GNOME 42 Mutter Lands Fix For Using The Old "Radeon" Graphics Driver

There have been bug reports recently for those using GNOME Shell 42 whether it be the likes of Ubuntu 22.04 or Fedora (Silverblue) 36 Beta over crashes or blank screens appearing when making use of the Radeon DRM/KMS kernel driver. That older Radeon DRM driver is for pre-GCN 1.2 graphics processors (aside from those on GCN 1.0/1.1 that switch to using the AMDGPU kernel driver with optional module parameters) while now Mutter has landed a fix for this issue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know if it's related to this, but yesterday I was trying to install Tumbleweed GNOME on a notebook with AMD (Radeon) integrated graphics and to my surprise it was set to use Xorg, at which point I tried to change the setting but wayland didn't c 'era. I went a little deeper into the matter and all packages related to Gnome and wayland were correctly installed, the GDM configuration seemed fine too. In the end I tried to reinstall, but still I was unable to start Gnome wayland, in the end I tried to install KDE and there no problem with wayland being present and working. So I'm assuming it's a bug on the Gnome side and maybe it's related to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      but wayland didn't c 'era.
      e dov'era andato? 😅

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

e dov'era andato? 😅
        No idea why. But I had to give this one a like.

Comment

However the bug also occurs in Ubuntu 22.04, there is also an open bug ...https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...3/+bug/1969243
          Nobody talks about Plasma full of bugs anymore, if then when I try to install Gnome I find a bug that prevents me from using wayland.

Comment

Working...
          X