Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS 2.1.3 Released With Many Fixes

Phoronix: OpenZFS 2.1.3 Released With Many Fixes

OpenZFS 2.1.3 is out today as the latest version of this open-source ZFS file-system implementation compatible with modern Linux and FreeBSD systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Hopefully people remember to enable the scrubbing. It doesn't look like the weekly/monthly scrubbing is on by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
      Nice. Hopefully people remember to enable the scrubbing. It doesn't look like the weekly/monthly scrubbing is on by default.
      I don't remember manually enabling scrubbing, but my ZFS pools (on Ubuntu, though) scrub once a month... or, at least, they say they do. They've not had any issues to fix, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

I don't remember manually enabling scrubbing, but my ZFS pools (on Ubuntu, though) scrub once a month... or, at least, they say they do.
        Ubuntu 20.04 automatically runs a scrub on the second Sunday of the month by default.

Comment

Michael

Typo "soem" should be "some".

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

I don't remember manually enabling scrubbing, but my ZFS pools (on Ubuntu, though) scrub once a month... or, at least, they say they do. They've not had any issues to fix, yet.
            At least Debian, Ubuntu and Proxmox enable monthly scrubs with cron for quite some time now. With 2.1.3 the upstream is providing systemd timers for it, but they are disabled by default.

Comment

Yeah scrubbing really needs to be on by default otherwise you can irreparably damage your filesystem over time due to bitrot (which can happen with unclean shutdowns and/or certain controllers).

I am really happy to see these Linux based fixes being pushed through, can't wait to try TrueNAS Scale when it becomes stable.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

At least Debian, Ubuntu and Proxmox enable monthly scrubs with cron for quite some time now. With 2.1.3 the upstream is providing systemd timers for it, but they are disabled by default.
                Yes, they did enable it in cron - which is great if you run on a server.
                A desktop machine probably will not hit the month of uptime needed to trigger cron, unless you just keep it suspended instead of shutting it down.

Comment

Originally posted by airminer View Post

Yes, they did enable it in cron - which is great if you run on a server.
                  A desktop machine probably will not hit the month of uptime needed to trigger cron, unless you just keep it suspended instead of shutting it down.
                  Those are calendar timers with persistence enabled. Uptime is irrelevant.

Comment

To ensure scrubbing occurs once a month, I suggest they should use the at queue, not cron. If the machine is not running when the cron job is scheduled then the job will not run; whereas, if the machine is not running when an at job is scheduled, the job will run the next time the machine is powered up. Since at jobs cannot repeat (e.g., you cannot set up an at job to run every 2nd Sunday of the month), either the at job needs to resubmit itself for its next occurrence or use a cron job to ensure the at job is in the at queue. Using cron to schedule required, reoccurring tasks is great for servers, but as has been mentioned, not every computer is on 24/7.

Comment

Working...
                    X