Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazon Linux 2022 Benchmarks - Offers Competitive Performance Against Ubuntu, CentOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Linux 2022 Benchmarks - Offers Competitive Performance Against Ubuntu, CentOS

Phoronix: Amazon Linux 2022 Benchmarks - Offers Competitive Performance Against Ubuntu, CentOS

Last week Amazon Web Services released Amazon Linux 2022 in preview form and since then I've been trying out their new cloud-optimized Linux distribution. It's been working out well on AWS (to no surprise) but also great was the level of performance provided by this now-Fedora-based distribution.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there anything known about the "secret sauce"? how do they achieve it? Well cherrypicked versions of packages/libs. Finetuned settings/patches/compiler flags?

Comment

A question that comes immediately to mind is: why not compare to Fedora directly? Or would the results be too similar?
      I am planning to do some distro comparison with Fedora and others, and now I'm wondering whether to try this one out, or just standard desktop Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        Is there anything known about the "secret sauce"? how do they achieve it? Well cherrypicked versions of packages/libs. Finetuned settings/patches/compiler flags?
        I think everything count.. probably they are taking advantage of more performant extensions that exist in amd64..
        A lot of packages in amd64, still have optimizations for sse2 and such( at least in some distros.. ), that's the problem.

In my opinion, they should start with the base of amd64, which is sse4.1 I believe..but that will turn to be a lot of work to maintain different flags for i386 and amd64 packages..
        If your distro only offers amd64, then go for it!

Comment

May I ask - who gives a toss.. honestly? As an ugly monopolist, which Amazon are the first class one, you know you should not be bothered - Amazon will kick you in the teeth eventually - instead just grab Fedora, Ubuntu or anything with darling & sincere community and have fun, also if you can, contribute back.

Comment

Working...
          X