Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flatpak 1.11.1 Brings Changes For Steam, Better Support For Command Line Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatpak 1.11.1 Brings Changes For Steam, Better Support For Command Line Programs

Phoronix: Flatpak 1.11.1 Brings Changes For Steam, Better Support For Command Line Programs

Flatpak 1.11.1 is out this morning as the first development step towards the eventual Flatpak 1.12 stable release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Basically, being able to handle the Steam Linux Runtime within a Flatpak sandboxed environment.
    Note that this is not the regular Steam Linux Runtime, but the Steam "Pressure Vessel" containerized runtime.

This should also allow the latest version of Proton to work OOTB, as far as I know? Though the flatpak-proton extension is pretty handy!

Comment

Amazing news!

I need to use flatpak to play csgo as it's not booting on my distro. So maybe now, I don't need to keep two steam instaled

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
        Amazing news!

I need to use flatpak to play csgo as it's not booting on my distro. So maybe now, I don't need to keep two steam instaled
        Getting segfaults in libtcmalloc_minimal.so, aren't you?

Comment

Flatpak is such a joy to use for command-line users. Instead of entering "foo" to run a program, we need to enter "flatpak run org.bar.baz.xyxxy.Foo". Much better.

/s

Comment

Originally posted by useless View Post

Getting segfaults in libtcmalloc_minimal.so, aren't you?
            I'm on that messed github issue, but to be honest I didn't log the game, I just noticed that it stopped to work just after I updated the glibc. But CSGO is so frustrating, I'm having issues with trust too, from a day to another my friends started to receive red warnings about me and I play mostly with them. Probably because some update

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Flatpak is such a joy to use for command-line users. Instead of entering "foo" to run a program, we need to enter "flatpak run org.bar.baz.xyxxy.Foo". Much better.

/s
              Flatpak has never been intended for command line programs. As for GUI applications, it's IMHO objectively much easier to launch them from the menu / activities view. But if you still want to launch them from the shell for whatever reason, what's stopling you from defining an alias?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                But if you still want to launch them from the shell for whatever reason, what's stopling you from defining an alias?
                Probably not being able to rant about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  Flatpak has never been intended for command line programs. As for GUI applications, it's IMHO objectively much easier to launch them from the menu / activities view. But if you still want to launch them from the shell for whatever reason, what's stopling you from defining an alias?
                  Why would you ever assume there's something stopping me? Just because I can waste my time to fix an issue does not mean there is no issue, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Why would you ever assume there's something stopping me? Just because I can waste my time to fix an issue does not mean there is no issue, you know.
                    You are trying to use flatpak in a scenario it was never designed for and then you complain that it's not as seamless as you would like it to be. That doesn't make it an "issue" that needs "fixing".

Comment

Working...
                    X