The Rust-Written Kazan Vulkan Driver Lights Up Its Shader Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rust-Written Kazan Vulkan Driver Lights Up Its Shader Compiler

Phoronix: The Rust-Written Kazan Vulkan Driver Lights Up Its Shader Compiler

This week the Kazan project (formerly known as "Vulkan-CPU") celebrated a small but important milestone in its trek to having a CPU-based Vulkan software implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Queue the Rust hate... Action in 3...2...1...

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
      Queue the Rust hate.
      Why? There are a lot of Rust supporters here, for a good reason. It's the best contender on a modern systems programming language.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
        Queue the Rust hate... Action in 3...2...1...
        I love Rust. It's a very complex yet elegant language (not minding some rare cases where you have to spell out all types and lifetimes). At least, it's much better than the abomination that is C++.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
          I love Rust. It's a very complex yet elegant language (not minding some rare cases where you have to spell out all types and lifetimes). At least, it's much better than the abomination that is C++.
          Still learning it, every time after my projects gets over ~400 lines I often get issues with either lifetimes, thread safety or both and have to redesign large parts of the program to be safe.
          It's annoying as hell, but I learn a lot about how to design safe programs and in the end I end up very happy with the result.
          If I would code something similar in C/C++ I probably wouldn't find that my design was bad until I would have written a couple of thousand of lines of code and would have to rewrite even more.

Comment

Well, this thread is going a lot better than I thought it would. I've been getting into Rust as well, although am still in my infancy with it.

I like the concept of being forced to write structurally sound code.

Comment

Working...
            X