No announcement yet.

The Alien Isolation Linux Testing That Isn't Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason they didn't port the benchmark mode is to avoid performance comparisons with the Windows version of the game. Simple as that.

They already got some heat with Shadow of Mordor performance and don't want customers using Phoronix benchmarks as proof that their port is under optimized. That way they can claim that the client performance issues are a isolated and difficult thing to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      The reason they didn't port the benchmark mode is to avoid performance comparisons with the Windows version of the game. Simple as that.

They already got some heat with Shadow of Mordor performance and don't want customers using Phoronix benchmarks as proof that their port is under optimized. That way they can claim that the client performance issues are a isolated and difficult thing to fix.
      Er... the first Linux review I saw for A:I had FPS info. It's not hard to get from other tools. I don't see how not including the benchmark code helps 'avoid performance comparisons with the Windows version of the game'. Keeps it off Phoronix, I suppose, but that's about it.

Comment

FPS is very easy to measure manually anyway, I suspect particular code had issues/or wasn't that interesting from publisher's perspective.

As for AMD, they reap what they have sown for long time.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: The Alien Isolation Linux Testing That Isn't Happening

While I was looking forward to yesterday's Alien: Isolation for Linux release, that has all changed now. Besides the game failing with open-source drivers, not all functionality from the Windows game is there in the Linux build...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...n-No-Benchmark
          There should be no need for any build-in benchmarks in Linux games - the frame rate can be measured by simply overloading certain OpenGL functions in libGL.so

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Ingles View Post

Er... the first Linux review I saw for A:I had FPS info. It's not hard to get from other tools. I don't see how not including the benchmark code helps 'avoid performance comparisons with the Windows version of the game'. Keeps it off Phoronix, I suppose, but that's about it.
            Like I said in my commentary, it make it easier to Feral to deny performances issues with their port, if you contact then. They can say it's only you and a few unlucky bastards that have problems with their product. The guy in Gaming on Linux only have one system. You and I too. But Michael can test 15 cards, so they can't deny performance problems with that type of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by << ⚛ >> View Post

There should be no need for any build-in benchmarks in Linux games - the frame rate can be measured by simply overloading certain OpenGL functions in libGL.so
              Libframetime doesn't universally work as tested many times. Beyond that, it does nothing for automating the start-up/shutdown of the game with any test/demo scene, etc. So yes, there is a very real need for built-in benchmarks.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Libframetime doesn't universally work as tested many times. Beyond that, it does nothing for automating the start-up/shutdown of the game with any test/demo scene, etc. So yes, there is a very real need for built-in benchmarks.
                OK .

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yep, refund was just honored by Steam! Impressed that it was done in about an hour in the early morning.
                  You should have played an hour before the refund, or maybe you can still play offline?

Anyway I'm more interested if that game might support SteamVR, when we finally get that? SteamVR needs some games for launch...

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post

You should have played an hour before the refund, or maybe you can still play offline?

Anyway I'm more interested if that game might support SteamVR, when we finally get that? SteamVR needs some games for launch...
                    As said already, I don't play computer games, don't have the time.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Maybe one day Eurogamer will take some notice of Linux. A Digital Foundry face off between Linux and Windows would be awesome on something like Alien Isolation.

Comment

Working...
                      X