Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Valve's Steam Client Bad & Damaging For Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    I'm not going to fault him for telling the truth for once. Most OSS games are crappy clones of UT3. Sure they where based on the UT3 engine, but the UT3 engine can be used to make allot more then jut a blowfully uninspired arena FPS game with terrible graphics and even worse gameplay.

...I think you mean Quake 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanS View Post
      Expressing both love and ambivalence towards a platform hardly counts as "strongly opposed."
      notch expressed love, worry, and an idealized goal of developers self-publishing without using steam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        I'm not going to fault him for telling the truth for once. Most OSS games are crappy clones of UT3. Sure they where based on the UT3 engine, but the UT3 engine can be used to make allot more then jut a blowfully uninspired arena FPS game with terrible graphics and even worse gameplay. Nobody ever thought to get some help from the Blender guys? The Blender projects looked great, much more detailed graphics then any game could do at the time.

The Nexuiz guys that ran off with the code and made a proprietary game out of it where actually more or less on the right track, just because it's OSS doesn't mean you can't make make it paid software, doing so would allow you to fund further development for the game, they just went about it in the wrong way.
        You are obviously not an open source game player. I've got at least a dozen beautifull oss games on my hdd and none of them is an FPS game. And of course they wont have graphics like their $20M and $100M commercial counterparts. This are pretty much hobbyist projects and often even 1-3 man projects driven by pure passion. Shitting on them they way Michael and You do is just sad and doesn't help in any way.

Especially on a website which claims to be:
        "Phoronix is the leading technology website for Linux hardware reviews, open-source news, Linux benchmarks, open-source benchmarks..."

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

...I think you mean Quake 3.
          If I am not mistaken Aliens Colonial marines is made with a modified UT3 engine.
          This game is also the reason, why I do not like to read anything about what gearbox or mandy p has to say.

They have proven to be totally unreliable.

Their big hit, borderlands is lets say, inspired by a vid, made by some artists, which they forgot to mention.

Comment

• Richard Stallman said although not open source the benefits outweigh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
              If I am not mistaken Aliens Colonial marines is made with a modified UT3 engine.
              This game is also the reason, why I do not like to read anything about what gearbox or mandy p has to say.

They have proven to be totally unreliable.

Their big hit, borderlands is lets say, inspired by a vid, made by some artists, which they forgot to mention.
              But what that has to do with anything? Especially since there is no such thing as a "UT3 engine", there's just Unreal Engine 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                But what that has to do with anything? Especially since there is no such thing as a "UT3 engine", there's just Unreal Engine 3.
                I was agreeing with Kivada.

Who wrote:
                I'm not going to fault him for telling the truth for once. Most OSS games are crappy clones of UT3. Sure they where based on the UT3 engine, but the UT3 engine can be used to make allot more then jut a blowfully uninspired arena FPS game with terrible graphics and even worse gameplay.

Comment

• Originally posted by quandasim View Post
                  i dont know fedora, but i'm noob 64bit archlinux user (its not debian based) and steam works out of the box.
                  Yeah I you have to be a real Linux genius to install Steam on Arch.
                  pacman -S steam. Click the Icon. Done. It's not like Arch does some magic tricks and work arounds. It just copies to the files to their destination.

I'm an active member of the Steam for Linux Hub on Steam and wonder everytime why other distros suck so much ass. This probably why I stopped
                  distro hopping the moment I installed Arch Linux. I know this sounds like the typical Arch elitist bullshit ( I'm far from a real Linux guru) but from my point of view unless a distro offers me 3 free wishes I will never use anything else then Arch.
                  All other distros simply have major disadvantages and offer nothing I can't have on Arch.

Comment

• Nothing beats the LeeT-Distro!

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Yeah I you have to be a real Linux genius to install Steam on Arch.
                    pacman -S steam. Click the Icon. Done. It's not like Arch does some magic tricks and work arounds. It just copies to the files to their destination.

I'm an active member of the Steam for Linux Hub on Steam and wonder everytime why other distros suck so much ass. This probably why I stopped
                    distro hopping the moment I installed Arch Linux. I know this sounds like the typical Arch elitist bullshit ( I'm far from a real Linux guru) but from my point of view unless a distro offers me 3 free wishes I will never use anything else then Arch.
                    All other distros simply have major disadvantages and offer nothing I can't have on Arch.
                    \/\/\/7 480\/7 1337 63|\|700? \/'11 |\|3\/3|? 8347 7|-|a7 \/\/|-|17|-| 5|-|177`/ 4|?<|-|!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
                      I was agreeing with Kivada.

Who wrote:
                      Except that Aliens: Colonial Marines is not an OSS game, it uses a modified Unreal Engine 3 that has nothing to do with Unreal Tournament 3. And there is only one game that runs on Linux that is on UE3 to begin with. And it's not an arena shooter, too.

Comment

Working...
                      X