Mono 4 Is Planned For Fedora 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
    Bansee dev didn't stop and, I believe, many other distros did this just beforehand.
    And, how much work active maintenance really needed to go into Tomboy before things like Evernote integration was ever a thing?

I guess I'm saying it's a bit of all these factors, but political was a big part of the considerations (along with maintenance and disc space).
    Banshee development didn't stop but it wasn't as active as before. Tomboy really needed a lot of development because of a wide variety of plugins. Politics might have been a factor but IMO the business model change was the primary reason behind a systematic drop of interest.

Comment

mono if it stay will be used mostly for small projects or fast ports but it won't braced for native linux projects any time soon or at all and i don't mean for political reasons, i mean hard technical reasons.

I mean, C# syntax is cool(ish) but the implementation is the problem.

1.) Garbage collector, nice if you are lazy and don't wanna learn proper memory management but horrible for performance and security
      2.) Interpreted language, fine if you are lazy and don't wanna deal with compilers and platform but horrible for performance and security(whine all you want, cry, yell to the skies if you want but .NET don't compile even when you see a "binary" that looks and feels like one <-- is a neat trick tho)
      3.) no guarantee windows and linux runtimes will stay on par of each other in the long run, this one is less important but can be an issue for app porters.(after all microsoft bussiness is microsoft, not linux and if their bussiness take a hit they didn't expect they will simply release .NET X with a complete imcompatible runtine with some neat features and make the opened code useless for bussinesses, notice i don't mean any paranoia theory that microsoft will sue or hide the already released code <-- that is completely false and unnecesary for them as long their market share is dominant)

Where i agree .NET can take some share is in the web department against PHP since WTH both are interpreted and garbage collected but prolly .NET will be faster at runtime(not sure if hiphop has reduced that gap enough tho). I will personally stay with php tho, i learned the hard way that microsoft will always hurt you in the long run

So, expect some bindings here and there for some libraries and small apps or ported apps but don't expect Qt or Gtk or Postgresql or any other big linux app to get ported ever, it won't happen, equally don't expect any app you do on it to be well received by the community in general, so if you wanna use .NET go with paid apps since bussiness are generally more tolerant in the security department if you can provide good support.

Against the argument of C# is better when you do crappy C++ code, this hold true for any language even python will be faster than ASM if people do stupids things in code(from my POV is sad this is even an argument to defend a platform but well im pragmatic), the point is to compare the benefit of both platform when making really good code but i do agree .NET since is interpreted have more chance to make horribly stupid code more performant where C++ will simply tell you to fuck off and deal with it and when writing good code if faster than most other interpreted languages on linux(im not sure about ruby tho or jitted python (Cython was it??), if someone with experience on those langs can share some insight? )

Comment

I don't own a machine with their OS, but I'm not unreasonable
        Using .net without windows is just like programming with objective-c without a mac. You just miss all the big things around the technology.

Comment

Originally posted by corzo View Post
          Using .net without windows is just like programming with objective-c without a mac. You just miss all the big things around the technology.
          Some people just want to write web backend stuff, hardware control (yes, the company I work for has moved away from Java toward C#), or script in Unity3D.

C# is a wonderful language. I can't stand WPF, so don't try to sell me on these "big things" incompatible with Linux.

Comment

Some people just want to write web backend stuff, hardware control (yes, the company I work for has moved away from Java toward C#), or script in Unity3D.

C# is a wonderful language. I can't stand WPF, so don't try to sell me on these "big things" incompatible with Linux.
            There are lots of wonderful languages out there, but it doesn't mean they're useful everywhere. People who wanted to do server-side web development with .net used to go with asp. But, again, asp.net support in mono is poor and lags behind the official implementation available for windows. Something like GNUstep vs Cocoa.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              Garbage collector, nice if you are lazy and don't wanna learn proper memory management but horrible for performance and security
              Sure, managed software isn't quite as fast as a pure C/C++ program (although it does blow the doors off many other platforms).. but really curious about how it's horrible for security.

2.) Interpreted language, fine if you are lazy and don't wanna deal with compilers and platform but horrible for performance and security(whine all you want, cry, yell to the skies if you want but .NET don't compile even when you see a "binary" that looks and feels like one <-- is a neat trick tho)
              Ummm no. By default, it compiles to IL, and then at runtime it's JIT compiled to native code optimized for the processor it's running on. That's assuming you don't do that ahead of time, obviously losing some portability in the process, never mind dotNET Native in general. And it's most certainly not interpreted, not sure you're getting that info from, even the interpreted languages like IronPython can be pre-compiled into an executable program, similar to Cython.

3.) no guarantee windows and linux runtimes will stay on par of each other in the long run, this one is less important but can be an issue for app porters.
              That would be up to the third parties to keep up with the specifications.

Comment

1.) Garbage collector, nice if you are lazy and don't wanna learn proper memory management but horrible for performance and security
                Sorry, but this is nonsense. Using a proper memory-managed language is MUCH less likely to open you up to nasty buffer overflow issues than something where you "learn proper memory management". C# code is less at risk of having security bugs than C (as the overflow will throw an exception).

Comment

Originally posted by corzo View Post
                  There are lots of wonderful languages out there, but it doesn't mean they're useful everywhere. People who wanted to do server-side web development with .net used to go with asp. But, again, asp.net support in mono is poor and lags behind the official implementation available for windows. Something like GNUstep vs Cocoa.
                  The new ASP.NET stack is targeted at Mono, and tested on Mono. The official Microsoft docker images for ASP.NET run on Mono.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
                    Sorry, but this is nonsense. Using a proper memory-managed language is MUCH less likely to open you up to nasty buffer overflow issues than something where you "learn proper memory management". C# code is less at risk of having security bugs than C (as the overflow will throw an exception).
                    Yeah... don't forget dangling pointers either, honestly anything where we're talking security critical code it shouldn't be written in C.

Comment

This is why Ubuntu used to have some Mono apps by default, and now they don't.
                      Ubuntu removed Mono because back then they still cared about fitting everything on one CD and a big runtime for just two apps.
                      IIRC Gimp was removed from the default installation for similar reasons.

Comment

Working...
                      X