Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 43 Now Officially Available, But GTK3 Gets Disabled

Phoronix: Firefox 43 Now Officially Available, But GTK3 Gets Disabled

Mozilla Firefox 43.0 is now officially available, but the GTK3 tool-kit support isn't enabled by default in the official Linux binaries...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a poor argument. GTK3 should be installed everywhere already. Also, this build is still not using ffmpeg which is really disappointing, since it's not using gstreamer 1.x either. Why can't Mozilla pull these things together already?

Comment

== dup ==
      Last edited by shmerl; 15 December 2015, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Although the GTK3 port is ready to ship, the update experience will be poor for users without GTK3 installed. We don't know what proportion of users that would be. Reverting to GTK2 for 43 beta and maybe 44 beta also would give some time to sort out [bugs].

Jeesus christ! If user's distro is not stale shit like RHEL or some LTS fossil, which is probably not, since user is able to install FF43 on it, then GTK3 is present and will be pulled in by package manager with FF update.

Comment

Instead of wondering how many users only have GTK2 installed, why don't they look at which distros still use GTK2 only? I'm fairly sure we could count them on one single hand and they won't even be any of the major distributions.

Comment

I'm torn. On the one hand, I really like running Aurora but, on the other hand, if I downgrade to Stable channel, I can escape this annoying bug where there's a random chance that clicking Save or Cancel inside a GTK+ 3.x Save As... dialog can cause the browser to become non-responsive to input. (I reported it as bug 1204406 back in September)

Comment

Does this affect the regular user is any way? Nope. They click on the Firefox icon, Firefox opens, and they browse the web. It could be GTK1 or GTK99, even anything else, eventually it's just a window for the average person.

Comment

Doesn't the GTK3 port have some performance and architectural improvements? So it may not directly effect the end user in terms of functionality, but it still matters.

Comment

Even the Debian stable (Jessie) has GTK3, so unless they want to run Firefox on some weird embedded distro, I still don't see the point...

Edit: And even though! The package managers of these special distros would just have to stay with Firefox version 42!

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                    Doesn't the GTK3 port have some performance and architectural improvements? So it may not directly effect the end user in terms of functionality, but it still matters.
                    I got the impression that was the case, but the more important thing is wayland support.

Comment

Working...
                    X