Firefox 41 Released With Many Small Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post

Trolololo, there were huge memory improvements, especially when using adblock plus. Also various developer improvements/etc. FF doesn't seem to leak memory on any of my boxes (excluding pages with flash, of course).
    That's why it uses several times as much memory as ten years ago (FF 1.5, back when it was a lean and mean web browser, which could run 95% of web 2.0 websites with no feature reductions, IF they weren't coded by incompetent fools) on the same exact web pages, does nothing more, and never releases large amounts of that memory for new use, ESPECIALLY on dynamic web pages, even if it's just simple javascript powering a clickable menu, it leaks like my kitchen sink; it's beyond pathetic. Tell me when it's back under 50MB on a fresh startup with a lightweight and well-coded tab manager. (tree tabs) People have no idea of how much a megabyte really is anymore... "Why bother optimizing, or even writing non-absolute-trash in the first place? Computers just get faster anyways!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Walking Glitch View Post

WebRTC has no business being in a web browser. What's so hard about prompting to open an external program?
      absence of (installed)that program, obviously

Comment

Please remember that you are not the average user. To the average user, the web browser is the only gateway to the internet (with skype, until WebRTC is working well).

But as I said, you are not the average user: if you need something better, work on it. I, too, would love to find lighter version of firefox with a castrated JS which won't allow any pop-up, won't open pages on hoovering, won't decide by itself to disable right-clicking, won't eat 120 MB of RAM in gmail, won't have direct access to the internet (gosh, JS was meant to display stuff dynamically on pages; it has not been designed to implement just about anything).

Comment

Nice. Text in Firefox Hello is something I missed quite a bit. Next step: multi-user conferencing!
          Also, Firefox Hello is amazing. It and Tox are the closest we have to unseating Skype.

Comment

Originally posted by The Walking Glitch View Post

That's why it uses several times as much memory as ten years ago (FF 1.5, back when it was a lean and mean web browser, which could run 95% of web 2.0 websites with no feature reductions, IF they weren't coded by incompetent fools) on the same exact web pages, does nothing more, and never releases large amounts of that memory for new use, ESPECIALLY on dynamic web pages, even if it's just simple javascript powering a clickable menu, it leaks like my kitchen sink; it's beyond pathetic. Tell me when it's back under 50MB on a fresh startup with a lightweight and well-coded tab manager. (tree tabs) People have no idea of how much a megabyte really is anymore... "Why bother optimizing, or even writing non-absolute-trash in the first place? Computers just get faster anyways!"
            Try running FF 1.5 today on modern websites and I think you'll find a very different experience to the one you remember. Pages today are not the same as they were back then.

Comment

Firefox freezes for me since at least 40 while playing youtube html5 videos >only when I'm signed in to YouTube

Comment

Working...
              X