No announcement yet.

HTTPS Will Be Available To All Phoronix Readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I would like to have the ads enabled to support you, it's impossible. Just for people to realize how awkwardly bad the situation is I made some benchmarks.

Without ads

Network

Timeline

With ads

Network

Timeline

And as a bonus, ghosetry with ads

Also with ads javascript runs constantly and it produces loads of garabage. Under only 8 seconds a 400MB JS heap had allocated

there are also serveral long-running js functions (which blocks rendering).
    In Firefox (which is my main browser) all tabs share the rendering thread so you block the whole browser....

I also would imagine that spending 50% of the CPU time to execute javascript ads would be bad for johnny the polar bear as well.
    Last edited by Pajn; 30 April 2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

To reduce server load (and save on your bills) you should switch to Nginx and enable SPDY, that will reduce load to less than Apache with HTTP.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
        You're kidding right? This site is one of the worst I've ever seen for ads. Every so often I feel guilty about phoronix and disable the adblocking, but holy crap this page is terrible without it.
        I seem to only get technical ads my self. Stuff like Buy new RubyMine 7 and Scale ur application here. I really have nothing against them as the ads are well done and don't flash in your eye like mad.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
          You must be kidding, or else you've only been a few places on the internet. CNet is an example of so much crap going on that it's hard to even scroll down, TheVerge has these videos that autoplay after about 10 seconds at the very bottom of the page at full volume, or the sites with the really nasty click-bait articles that either have disgusting images or erotic ones. So, by comparison, no, not the worst.
          No, not kidding. I do regularly use adblocking, but I work at a hosting service and have had to disable it to help customers with their sites many times. The level of ads to be considered annoying by most people is far, far less that what shows up on phoronix.

I would have to guess that most people with any technical knowledge are blocking ads at this point (so the vast majority of visitors here). I was a working at an ad-supported site back in 2000 that basically had to close because it wasn't a realistic way to make many anymore.

What is real answer? Should we all have to subscribe to this site in order to view the content? You know how that would work out. But to expect people to waste their time on a site covered in ads and popups isn't realistic either.

Comment

are you going to go back to cloudflare? the site has beeen slower since the new server

Comment

Michael: Phoronix doesn't display very well on Firefox when used with HTTPS-Everywhere (a plugin from EFF). Main articles don't have images from openbenchmark and the forum has no CSS styles loaded.
              It seems to be coming from the fact that Firefox doesn't want to load unsecure links from a secure page, and all these links (openbenchmark, CSS, ...) are classic HTTP links.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                Michael: Phoronix doesn't display very well on Firefox when used with HTTPS-Everywhere (a plugin from EFF). Main articles don't have images from openbenchmark and the forum has no CSS styles loaded.
                It seems to be coming from the fact that Firefox doesn't want to load unsecure links from a secure page, and all these links (openbenchmark, CSS, ...) are classic HTTP links.
                I noticed this also.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
                  I noticed this also.
                  I have noticed it too, and more people:

Comment

Here's a solid HTTPS HOWTO, step 3 explains how to fix mixed content (insecure content that doesn't load from secure pages).

Comment

Originally posted by Tobu View Post
                      Here's a solid HTTPS HOWTO, step 3 explains how to fix mixed content (insecure content that doesn't load from secure pages).
                      Thanks! I was actually wondering what was the best practice for my personal web sites
                      Apparently StackOverflow agrees too, and I found this specific answer very interesting: http://stackoverflow.com/a/21828923/1842511

Comment

Working...
                      X