No announcement yet.

Radeon DRM Linux 4.4 + Mesa 11.1 + DRI3 vs. AMD's Proprietary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wanted to point out that Radeon Crimson Linux driver still secretly supports Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 series GPUs. I'm using Radeon Crimson with my HD 5850 and it works in Arch. The aticonfig utility no longer detects the card but the already existing xorg.conf file generated with a previous aticonfig version works plus there is a possible workaround to make the new one aticonfig work if you needed. Its a better driver, even if the performance is more or less the same, it fixes the annoying TTY switching bug after a very long wait and of cource official Linux 4.2 support.

Comment

Any reason Metro Redux isn't being used? None of the games are getting sub-60 fps on the the 290 which makes it hard to actually compare performance since its all running at unrealistically high framerates anyway. If I remember in the Nvidia vs Radeon benchmarks the Catalyst driver results for that game on the highest settings were around 90, which might put the radeonSI results closer to 60.

The latest Mesas + kernels can run the reduxes fine now I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        I just wanted to point out that Radeon Crimson Linux driver still secretly supports Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 series GPUs. I'm using Radeon Crimson with my HD 5850 and it works in Arch. The aticonfig utility no longer detects the card but the already existing xorg.conf file generated with a previous aticonfig version works plus there is a possible workaround to make the new one aticonfig work if you needed. Its a better driver, even if the performance is more or less the same, it fixes the annoying TTY switching bug after a very long wait and of cource official Linux 4.2 support.
        Could you tell me how? How install this Crimson on ubuntu (I have desktop pc with hd 5850 and laptop with hd5650M) and how to use workaround with new aticonfig?

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

Could you tell me how? How install this Crimson on ubuntu (I have desktop pc with hd 5850 and laptop with hd5650M) and how to use workaround with new aticonfig?
          This weekend I tried to install Catalyst for my R9 290 in a different motherboard (mini itx versus full atx) and just got black screens, with Crimson and the version in the repositories, in Kubuntu 15.10 and Ubuntu 14.04 (a fresh install in a different HDD). The free drivers work just fine but can't get Catalyst to work. Then I said "*uck it", asked for a refund for Dying Light, it refuses to work with free drivers (says I have only OpenGL 3.0 and needs 3.3 when I have 4.1 ...) and to hell with Catalyst.

Comment

Nice! opensource driver is about to kick Catalyst ass!

Comment

What is the state of radeonSi new LLVM scheduler? It seemed to have quite some potential..

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                What is the state of radeonSi new LLVM scheduler? It seemed to have quite some potential..
                the figures were biased by a mesa regression that was fixed between the two figures that were compared.

On synthetical benchmarks the gain is max 15%, and in general games see a much lower gain.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                  - Regarding GpuTest: Triangle, the open source driver is ~2x slower in fullscreen, but if you test the windowed mode instead, the open source driver is ~2x faster than Catalyst in the same test.
                  I think GPUTest's point is with fullscreen benchmark only, window can be even diminished to nothing and to gain 100x faster results

Comment

Nice to see those comparions but for me is a game fast enough if it never drops below 60 Hz to enable vsync. Everything else you can benchmark but with no real world use. I liked other Steam games to compare much more, it is unlikely that so many play the tested games. OpenArena is a remake of Quake 3 from 1999, which was addicting at that time and a bit later when QuakeLive was introduced, but basically a Pi is enough to play it. Can you use CS Go, Metro Redux, Bioshock 3 and similar games next time? Unigine looks nice but the only game I own with that engine is Oilrush and there you hardly can see a difference if tesselation is enabled or not. Maybe ask for games based in Unity engine, those power many multi platform games.

Comment

The Catalyst driver exposed OpenGL 4.4.13399 support for all of the hardware tested.
                      That is glxinfo bug... fglrxinfo show correct version 4.5.13416.

edit: it is fixed in glxinfo from git demos

Comment

Working...
                      X