No announcement yet.

The AMD Radeon R9 Fury Is Currently A Disaster On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ppl have to be crazy nowadays to buy whatever hardware from AMD, they know they suck, they know it long time ago, and the didn't care too much. Catalist is bad software on every platform. If they wanted to be competitive they must make their driver better than nvidia one other way arguing which is better is as ppl without insurances talking about hazardous whether.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      I very much doubt that was intentional. He benched games that people are playing. You can't blame anybody. Those are the numbers people want to know.
      I doubt too, but seems perfectly choosen so that article can be called "a disaster"... as i said not a single game benchmarked here has fglrx profile, OK openarena can't run 4K for him, but why not TF2?

Dunno what better to say then maybe to disable nvidia variabile in any game scripts and test again

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I doubt too, but seems perfectly choosen so that article can be called "a disaster"... as i said not a single game benchmarked here has fglrx profile, OK openarena can't run 4K for him, but why not TF2?

Dunno what better to say then maybe to disable nvidia variabile in any game scripts and test again
        Well, I guess you're right about the article title, but I stopped paying attention to that a long time ago. The content of the benchmark results are more important to me than hysterical article titles.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
          ppl have to be crazy nowadays to buy whatever hardware from AMD, they know they suck, they know it long time ago, and the didn't care too much. Catalist is bad software on every platform. If they wanted to be competitive they must make their driver better than nvidia one other way arguing which is better is as ppl without insurances talking about hazardous whether.
          And now you are wrong completely, i am sure that calling article "a disaster" makes you think that way AMD is known historically for their not really top notch OpenGL support like nVidia's, but it is improving... and that is really end of the story, they are great at DX

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Well, I guess you're right about the article title, but I stopped paying attention to that a long time ago. The content of the benchmark results are more important to me than hysterical article titles.
          I thought to advocate that Micheal got Fury Nano sample from AMD, but with this i can't and i won't - you can ignore titles, but most people won't

It is bad to say, especially when article shows that it is not true... blah.

Last edited by dungeon; 29 July 2015, 05:39 PM.

Comment

And now you are wrong completely, i am sure that calling article "a disaster" makes you think that way AMD is known historically for their not really top notch OpenGL support like nVidia's, but it is improving... and that is really end of the story, they are great at DX

I thought to advocate that Micheal got Fury Nano sample from AMD, but with this i can't and i won't - you can ignore titles, but most people won't
            Well, if you think you have enough pull on AMD that they would provide review samples to Micheal then t's worth a try. At least then he won't have to pay his own money for it.

EDIT: At least then there wouldn't be any return threats included in the articles and other stuff like that.

Comment

No news. Even the messenger was killed.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                those users will choose windows anyway, nobody cares about them.
                linux driver is mesa. blobs are windows drivers
                It's not that simple. You can choose to use Linux and simultaneously choose to use the driver which gives the best gaming performance. I dual boot windows 10 and Linux. I have an AMD R9 290. My experience on windows with AMD drivers has been entirely positive. I also decided to support Linux simultaneously and my research revealed that not only are the open source drivers slower but they do not keep up with openGL advancements. I'm relatively new to Linux but I though it was about choice and freedom? Personally I choose to use the best performing driver. And I know from browsing the steam forums that there are many AMD users on fglrx. We will gladly switch to the open drivers if they ever show better performance. We also have other reasons for purchasing AMD hardware ranging from fantastic windows performance to agreement with company idealogy etc.

Comment

If AMD would just open source their drivers, then the community would be able to get in there and create the best drivers possible.

...ohh, wait...

Comment

as i said not a single game benchmarked here has fglrx profile, [..] maybe to disable nvidia variabile in any game scripts and test again
                    You seem to be quite obsessed with that nvidia environment variable (I think that's how it's spelled?) and make it sound like it's a cheat, or it's somehow Nvidia's fault that catalyst sucks.

But that's wrong. Nvidia cares for Linux gaming, so they make sure that certain optimizations (that can't be enabled for all games for correctness reasons) in their driver are enabled when games are designed to be able to use them. I don't see how this is a bad thing.

OTOH, AMD's catalyst team is understaffed and/or doesn't care about Linux gaming performance, so there are no profiles for popular games. That's clearly AMD's fault. If Michael refrained from benchmarking games without catalyst profile, we'd miss out on a lot of benchmarks because there are only very few profiles.

So: Nvidia -> cares for Linux gaming, makes sure "dirty optimizations" are enabled whenever they work => nice perfomance in popular games
                    AMD catalyst -> doesn't care for Linux gaming, no profiles => performance in popular games is "a disaster"

I don't care for theoretical performance that could be achieved with a perfect driver and profiles for all the popular games. Because that's not what we have. I want to see the real-world performance of GPUs. And I still plan to buy AMD next time (probably next year) as a replacement for my 6870, because the open source driver has served me well in recent years. But I do realize that 3D performance could be better. If I need more 3D performance than Mesa can offer, I'll boot into Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                      That is simply not true, to buy top of the line GPU to play games on linux is not the best choice but if you use a lot of OpenCL it might be a good choice.
                      As a normal user AMD hardware works great, i got an AMD based laptop and it works great just as the other AMD based laptops i have used in the past.
                      I used a lot of different hardware in laptops and i still have a lot of them with all kind of hardware from intel and nvidia but the ones i end up using full time is always the AMD based since they suite my "user profile" best.

Comment

Working...
                      X