Updating graphics drivers with no administrative privledges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating graphics drivers with no administrative privledges

Heres the thing, the only source of entertainment I have is my Dell Latitude D160 laptop that I received from my job, I just bought half life 2 and installed it, it was running pretty choppy so I looked at my drivers for the Mobile Intel(R) 915GM Express Chipset that is on this computer and they date back to 2004.
    I downloaded the driver update but after it unpacks the files it says the same message that I get when I try to update the drivers automatically." You must have administrative privileges to execute this file" and aborts the installation.
    What I did is when it got to the " You must have administrative privileges to execute this file" window, I copied all the files associated with the update and moved them from the temp direcotry to a permanent one. I then went to control panel and looked at all the files that are associated with the current driver that I am using now and copied those, so I have a backup of the original driver files just in case.
    I havent done this yet , but I was just going to manually replace each file that is associated with the old 2004 driver with the files that were unpacked from the new driver update,
    Is this dangerous?

If you mean dangerous as in 'may not work' then yes. If dangerous means 'physically break the laptop' then I doubt it. What's weird though is you have permissions to copy the files to where they need to be but not to do the install? If you can do one then you should be able to do the other. I guess getting the admin password is out of the question? What version of Linux are you running?

Comment

...i think he's using that other os :]

Comment

sorry wrong forum, sad to say I am a conformist(or at least the people who supply the computers at my job are) and I do run the other OS

Comment

Working...
        X