Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi VC4 Gallium3D Support Continues Marching Along

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi VC4 Gallium3D Support Continues Marching Along

Beyond all the recent kernel work with landing the initial Raspberry Pi KMS driver for the Linux 4.4 kernel, Eric Anholt at Broadcom has remained busy in user-space too with more improvements to the VC4 Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This work by Eric is what led me to buy the Rpi 2, there were cheaper boards out there ( and better performing too ) but I wanted and open source GPU driver and mainline kernel support.

Comment

Can't wait to to be in Raspbian... Currently you need special code for each app to use OpenGL on raspberry (special surface...) (default apps does not work: WebGL on firefox, any OpenGL-es2 app, that was not specially modified)

I would like to see how it fits for OpenGL-es2-enabled games (currious if OpenMW could be ran on it...)

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
        This work by Eric is what led me to buy the Rpi 2, there were cheaper boards out there ( and better performing too ) but I wanted and open source GPU driver and mainline kernel support.
        This! Really looking forward to some benchmarks of the RPi 2 graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
          Can't wait to to be in Raspbian...
          Not only you

Eric, there is a horde of Raspberry Pi owners who would love to use an open graphics driver. Keep the good work up

Comment

As far as i know, Quake 3 already running, so what is a difference?

Comment

I just ordered 10 more Raspberry Pis. Desperately waiting for Raspbian to package the patches so that we can use the new open GPU driver and super efficient shaders for stuff like IoT sensors, low power wifi dongles, Sainsmart relays on GPIO, 16x2 LCD screens and just love the hifi audio output from Pi.

Comment

Can't wait until I can make use of the new GPU driver with my Sainsmart relays, DH11 sensors, improve the power efficiency of wifi dongles and it probably also runs my 16x2 LCD much nicer. Anyone knows if the GPU driver improves the builtin Pi hifi audio output beyond awesome?

Comment

Now now, we are pushing pressure on Eric, aren't we :-).

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                    As far as i know, Quake 3 already running, so what is a difference?
                    Special source-modified version runs directly from virtual-terminal, "framebuffer", without X.
                    But it does runs very good!
                    Each OpenGL app would need source modification to be able to use current 3D engine.

Eric, with gallium3D, precompiled OpenGL-es2 apps should work out of box?

Comment

Working...
                    X