No announcement yet.

Zhaoxin Beginning Work Bringing Up "Yongfeng" CPU Support For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zhaoxin Beginning Work Bringing Up "Yongfeng" CPU Support For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Zhaoxin Beginning Work Bringing Up "Yongfeng" CPU Support For The Linux Kernel

Chinese fabless semiconductor company Zhaoxin, which was started ten years ago as a joint venture between VIA and the Shanghai Municipal Government to create domestic x86 CPUs, is now in the process of working on supporting their newest Yongfeng processors with the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Competition is good for the customers, but get ready for people starting baseless accusations when china is mentioned

Comment

Competition for who? This is all Chinese exclusive stuff, isn't it?
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
        Competition for who? This is all Chinese exclusive stuff, isn't it?
        Prolly still not competitive yet to get out the country idk

Comment

Now I can decide if I want western or eastern "security" embedded into my system. I'm still waiting for CPUs with african security (none at all).

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
            Now I can decide if I want western or eastern "security" embedded into my system. I'm still waiting for CPUs with african security (none at all).
            There will never ever be any CPU from Africa.

The closest you will you get is Intel which has CPU design teams in Israel which some may consider as Africa.

Theoretically Saudi Arabia with all their oil money could hire Chinese guest workers to come over and build factories and buy equipment from ASML, but who is going to work there and who is going to run that company? Fast forward and new technology arrives and the plant becomes obsolete.

Theoretically Iran could design a CPU and have it manufactured in China. There would no market for it, nobody would be interested in it, except possibly Russia and North Korea.

Comment

I always wanted to see a new CPU from VIA, just to break the AMD and Intel duopoly. Too bad they are a Chinese company now funded and controlled by the CCP, and the performance level is still far from competitive. Maybe NVIDIA likes their new Grace CPU and relly decides to try the desktop market as well, or that SiFive company can build a RISC-V desktop CPU.

Comment

I had an 486 CPU from Cyrix, which I think was bought by VIA after they went out of bussines, so in a way I used to have a CPU from the company that is now VIA

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                  Competition is good for the customers, but get ready for people starting baseless accusations when china is mentioned
                  Not just China, Any country that doesn't belong to the golden billion.

Comment

just waiting for this to be denied since they dont feel like working with this company

Comment

Working...
                    X