Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Zen 4 AVX-512 Performance Analysis On The Ryzen 9 7950X

Phoronix: AMD Zen 4 AVX-512 Performance Analysis On The Ryzen 9 7950X

While much of AMD's briefings for the Ryzen 7000 desktop series were focused on gaming and other consumer workloads, one of the most exciting aspects for me with the Ryzen 7000 series is AMD now supporting AVX-512. But rather going for a 512-bit FPU data path and the possibility of reduced clock frequencies and power/thermal concerns, they employed a 256-bit "double pumping" strategy. When getting the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X in the lab, exploring the AMD Zen 4 AVX-512 performance was one of the areas I was most excited to evaluate. From the benchmarks about to be shown, AMD's initial AVX-512 implementation is promising and has me all the more excited for finding it on AMD EPYC "Genoa" processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally, AVX-512 on a mainstream CPU people actually want to buy.

Comment

Please bench it on Clear Linux.

eg. Intel Alder Lake vs AMD Zen4 on e.g. Ubuntu compared against Intel Alder Lake vs AMD Zen4 on Clear Linux

It would by very interessting if it got the same leverage of Clear Linux as the Intel CPU with avx512

Comment

I've been a huge fan of AVX 512 and even in a cut down form it is helping Zen4 in a big way.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          I've been a huge fan of AVX 512 and even in a cut down form it is helping Zen4 in a big way.
          You've been a fan of an instruction set? What's wrong with you?

Obligatory Linuses quote: https://www.realworldtech.com/forum/...rpostid=193190

Comment

The results proof that AVX5 has a profitable impact on this AMD CPu. A test between AVX2 and AVX5 performance would be useful.

Comment

I hate to be a whiner, but missing two shades of green in the frequency graphs was horrible to read. It would have been better to use red/blue colors, with purple when they overlapped. Something with higher contrast so you could actually see the difference would be interesting.

As for the AVX512 performance, they do really look good. I wonder if this help Stable Diffusion or any of those types of apps? Probably not since they're mostly GPU limited, but what do I know...

Comment

Originally posted by l8gravely View Post
                I hate to be a whiner, but missing two shades of green in the frequency graphs was horrible to read. It would have been better to use red/blue colors, with purple when they overlapped. Something with higher contrast so you could actually see the difference would be interesting.

As for the AVX512 performance, they do really look good. I wonder if this help Stable Diffusion or any of those types of apps? Probably not since they're mostly GPU limited, but what do I know...
                The colors are auto-generated and hard to sometimes to get it to behave robustly and correctly with having not yet come up with a great algorithm for always choosing great colors.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

AVX that doesn't turn your CPU into charcoal and just increases performance?
                  Sounds like a sweet deal to me.

Comment

Michael

Typo page 1

"Okay, so a 10% boost is nice, but what about the impact om power consumption?"

​"Okay, so a 10% boost is nice, but what about the impact on power consumption?"

Comment

Working...
                    X