Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD-Powered Frontier Supercomputer Tops Top500 At 1.1 Exaflops, Tops Green500 Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD-Powered Frontier Supercomputer Tops Top500 At 1.1 Exaflops, Tops Green500 Too

Phoronix: AMD-Powered Frontier Supercomputer Tops Top500 At 1.1 Exaflops, Tops Green500 Too

As part of ISC 2022 happening this week in Hamburg, Germany, the new Top500 supercomputer and Green500 energy efficiency lists have been published...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully in the future, the EU will build something similar with AMD CPUs and GPUs and help advance medical and environmental research.

Comment

Seems it's the top 503 for me right now, service unavailable.

Comment

And to think I bought into the "RISC is so power efficient, soon everything will be RISC" meme.

Turns out it's still a very open game. Wonder what it'll start looking like when printing reaches the low 2nm/1nm though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
          And to think I bought into the "RISC is so power efficient, soon everything will be RISC" meme.
          Or was it RISC vs. CISC meme in general?

Comment

So that's where all the EPYCs went...

Comment

Based on the latest HPE Cray EX235a architecture and equipped with AMD EPYC 64C 2GHz processors, the system has 8,730,112 total cores, a power efficiency rating of 52.23 gigaflops/watt, and relies on gigabit ethernet for data transfer.
              Only 8,730,112c17460224t consisting of 136,408 Epycs

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Hopefully in the future, the EU will build something similar with AMD CPUs and GPUs and help advance medical and environmental research.

Another change within the TOP10 is the introduction of the LUMI system at EUROHPC/CSC in Finland. Now occupying the No. 3 spot, this new system has 1,110,144 cores and has a HPL benchmark of nearly 152 PFlop/s. LUMI is also noteworthy in that it is the largest system in Europe.

Finally, another change within the TOP10 occurred at the No. 10 spot with the new addition of the Adastra system at GENCI-CINES in France. It achieved an HPL benchmark score of 46.1 Pflop/s and is the second most powerful machine in Europe, behind LUMI.
                Both of them are using the same 64-core AMD Epyc CPUs and AMD Instinct MI250X GPUs as Frontier.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post

Turns out it's still a very open game. Wonder what it'll start looking like when printing reaches the low 2nm/1nm though.
                  The vast majority of FLOPS (and FLOPS/watt) in these systems comes from the GPU's, doesn't really matter if the management CPU's are x86, ARM or something else as long as you can make Linux run on it.

Comment

I wonder if there's a version of Windows that can boot on that thing without blowing up

Comment

Working...
                    X