x86 Straight-Line Speculation Mitigation Patches Updated For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x86 Straight-Line Speculation Mitigation Patches Updated For Linux

Phoronix: x86 Straight-Line Speculation Mitigation Patches Updated For Linux

A year after Arm processors began mitigating straight-line speculation, Linux developers have been working on similar straight-line speculation mitigations for x86/x86_64 processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

--- As a known side effect, SLS mitigation for the kernel does increase the text size of the kernel build by around 2.4% due to the additional (INT3) instructions
    So the same for L1C misses and L2 utilization. Nice. Another thing to turn off. The idea of rebuilding vanilla distro kernels with all the crap off is starting to get more and more viable.

Comment

what is performance impact of this patch ?

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high
        Michael the thumbnails are seriously distracting and do not add anything. Please consider removing them or allowing paid subscribers the option to remove them.
        Code:
        ||www.phoronix.net/image.php$image
        That's the uBlock Origin filter code to do what you're asking. You can accomplish the same thing from the Phoronix home page with "Right Click>Block Element>Pick the 2nd Option under Network Filters"

Comment

Originally posted by Alex/AT View Post
          --- As a known side effect, SLS mitigation for the kernel does increase the text size of the kernel build by around 2.4% due to the additional (INT3) instructions
          So the same for L1C misses and L2 utilization. Nice. Another thing to turn off. The idea of rebuilding vanilla distro kernels with all the crap off is starting to get more and more viable.
          Oh put a sock in it. This both dwarfed by other work AND there's negligible impact of the mitigations on new hardware like Alder Lake.

Comment

Actually everything I expect from Adler Lake is another bunch of new mitigations slowing down the kernel. Sorry for heavy optimism though.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Oh put a sock in it. This both dwarfed by other work AND there's negligible impact of the mitigations on new hardware like Alder Lake.

I'm not sure how it helps.

If you look close you'll notice that my DVD-RW drive is just for looks because I ran out of SATA ports

Comment

It's for luck I presume.

Comment

Working...
                X