Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 Benchmarking With The Phoronix Test Suite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StringCheesian
    replied
    Originally posted by lithorus View Post
    You know that you can easily install Windows 7 without any serial what so ever? It'll work fully for 30 days.
    I wonder if the legal terms in the EULA have anything to say about commercial use of the evaluation version, or about publishing benchmarks without MS's permission (the beta had terms like that - does the final release?).

Michael would have to either hire a lawyer or at least get in touch with people who publish Windows benchmarks and ask them what they do.

Leave a comment:

• lithorus
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Alas, from the news posting, without any Windows systems. So first waiting for any companies to step up and provide a couple systems or at the least a couple Windows 7 discs...
    You know that you can easily install Windows 7 without any serial what so ever? It'll work fully for 30 days.

Leave a comment:

• bulletxt
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    There are better programs on Linux like Kate.

He uses gnome, that's why he has to use Windows programs.

Leave a comment:

• n0nsense
    replied
    I'm willing to donate despite the fact that it will go to MS.
    To have Win 7 32 and 64, XP and Vista yo need less then 1k USD.
    It will help Linux in general since (PR anyone).
    in addition to
    1. More Secure
    2. More Customizable (personal)
    3. More Stable
    we can have
    4. Definitely faster.
    and it will help developers to focus on the parts where improvement needed (read slower than Win).

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by sabriah View Post
    I run Notepad++ perfectly through wine, but have not tried benchmarking it, like replacing 1,000,000 comma-signs with a semicolon; that is more common than you might think, for a moderately large table with 100 columns and 10,000 rows.
    There are better programs on Linux like Kate.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    I don't think that compile benchmarks are needed on win - you can only use em as hardware test or maybe to figure out kernel differences but NOT betweens distros/win systems. You compare gcc X vs. gcc Y. But if you want to test gfx speed then use the precompiled binaries for the multiplattform games/benchmarks, that makes more sense and shoulnd need so much time to implement. Time

start /w xxx.exe

For those which have got binaries - maybe special handling for those apps currently tested via wine.

Leave a comment:

• sabriah
    replied
    Originally posted by MichaelPalin View Post
    What do you need a port for? Just use "anti-wine" to run it on Windows, :P
    Even better, why waste money on Microsoft.

Please test those GPL programs which are available on Windows but have no Linux version. They are more than you might believe.

At work, I use Notepad++ instead of the standard Windows Notepad. Notepad++ is only available for Windows.

I run Notepad++ perfectly through wine, but have not tried benchmarking it, like replacing 1,000,000 comma-signs with a semicolon; that is more common than you might think, for a moderately large table with 100 columns and 10,000 rows.

SourceForge and Freshmeat can list many more GPL programs which are Windows only.
    Last edited by sabriah; 29 October 2009, 02:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelPalin
    replied
    What do you need a port for? Just use "anti-wine" to run it on Windows, :P

Leave a comment:

• marek
    replied
    It would be very interesting to see which one of the two systems is faster in what areas.

Leave a comment:

• bulletxt
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Alas, from the news posting, without any Windows systems. So first waiting for any companies to step up and provide a couple systems or at the least a couple Windows 7 discs...
    Then what about providing a donation system specifically for you to buy a Windows 7 disc, putting a counter showing when you reach the goal, for example if Windows 7 costs 100$ you put a counter and when you reach it you stop the donation system and then get a Windows copy

Just an idea of course

Leave a comment:

Working...
X